Thread: Foot pain

Smile Foot pain

I have seen the TV ads from Dr Scholl's about the new machine to measure your foot and then recommend an insert.
    So I went to Walmart and got a pair.
    Wow, as soon as I put them on no more pain.
    At $50 kinda pricey, but who cares, it works.

If you have foot pain, go to Walmart and get you a pair, now.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Default Re: Foot pain

So you read the part about shakeing the rocks out of your shoes before installing the inserts eh?
    I tries those too.
    The new pain was worse than the old

They have them at chain drug stores as well.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

When it comes down to shoes you gotta be careful about what you buy and wear. Though they're very popular, sandals are murder on your feet, knees, hips and back. After learning a bit about shoes I now never buy anything that's less than $100.00 and my New Balance shoes are replaced every six months. I also wear orthodics and though they're quite (really) expensive they do help with orthopedic problems.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Plantar Fasciitis. I suffer from this, and was told its from spending a lot of time on ladders, walking on joists, etc. Good shoes, insets etc are really important.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I have seen the TV ads from Dr Scholl's about the new machine to measure your foot and then recommend an insert.

It was not the insert that relieved your pain. It was taking the $50 out of your shoe that did it. Those ones do add up after a while.

Garry Blankenship Guest

Congrats of finding good foot support. Morphing your post a bit, but I am preoccupied w/ the best shoe soles for roof walking. Too soft and they could break down on a hot, good slope. Too hard and I don't like contemplating the possibilities. No tread; lots of tread ? Knock on wood, but taking a gutter photo from the roof top too often makes me nervous. Confidence is important up there, so I like to think of my shoe soles like heavy duty magnets on a sheet of steel. Anybody have or use anything special for this ?

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

New Balance Tennis Shoes for everything but the attic and crawlspace. They stick to 6/12 roofs well (when dry) otherwise 4/12 is the cutoff....In the attics I switch to a pair Georgia Giant Romeos - the steel shank helps protect the arch of your feet from being pinched/crushed when walking in the crux of the purlins.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    Congrats of finding good foot support. Morphing your post a bit, but I am preoccupied w/ the best shoe soles for roof walking. Too soft and they could break down on a hot, good slope. Too hard and I don't like contemplating the possibilities. No tread; lots of tread ? Knock on wood, but taking a gutter photo from the roof top too often makes me nervous. Confidence is important up there, so I like to think of my shoe soles like heavy duty magnets on a sheet of steel. Anybody have or use anything special for this ?
    Try a pair of NEW BALANCE 609, 623 Gary, you'll never wear anything else.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

For walking roofs, I only wear shoes with a Vibram sole. These were popular in the 70's as "waffle stompers". They grip and don't slide on concrete tile roofs. Usually a "North Face" brand is light and cool for those summer days in the desert.

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Rockport boat shoes. No tread to track grit. Slip off for that anal seller.
    I keep old sneakers for crawls.
    I had a podiatrist have me some custom inserts made and that was the best investment since I got in this gig and passed 60

JLMathis.

Don Burbach Guest

Having read all of this, I have a different slant. GOUT.

I started having heel and foot pain in my late 40's. A podiatrist recommended a custom made orthotic insert. I religiously wore them for years and even had them 'retreaded' a couple of times. Wouldn't leave home without them.

I still had intermittent foot pain that was still diagnosed as Plantar Fasciitis. Blood tests seemed to rule out a flare-up of gout, my uric acid level was low. But, I moved to another area and switched podiatrists and the new doctor insisted that I suffered from gout, an arthritic condition that is aggravated and brought on by too much liquor, red meat, and other rich foods. A few heavy weekends and I realized that heel pain proceeded bad activity by 36-48 hours. My foot pain lasts for about 5 days and is so severe I have to plan how to get from the bed to the bathroom. A home inspection could not be done during the most severe days of the flare-up.

My orthotic inserts have now worn out. I wear only top-siders and am pain-free. I changed my diet, less red meat, no beans, asparagus, mushrooms, no beer, and only 1 drink per 3 days or so. Initially for the first 7-8 years I didn't medicate for gout, but now in my 60's, I went to medication for gout a year ago.

Bottom line is that the original podiatrist approached the pain as a foot and Plantar Fasciitis problem and missed the gout issue.

Welcome to old-age! My new doctor says: Regarding the gout diagnosis, "if it walks like a duck, smells like a duck, quacks like a duck..... it may be a duck!". Thank You Dr. Aaron Meltzer.

For a while there I thought I was on the AARP forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    For a while there I thought I was on the AARP forum!
    Some of us have certainly dated ourselves.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Garry Blankenship Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    New Balance Tennis Shoes for everything but the attic and crawlspace. They stick to 6/12 roofs well (when dry) otherwise 4/12 is the cutoff....In the attics I switch to a pair Georgia Giant Romeos - the steel shank helps protect the arch of your feet from being pinched/crushed when walking in the crux of the purlins.
    Just bought some Giant Romeo's Jim; Thanks. It is the shoe lace feature I like best

About the roofs, I have had success using an old couch cushion on the steep roofs. It grips well, spreading out weight.<--no liability is assumed by tipsters recommendation.

Larry Hood Guest

Dr,Shols makes a great work shoe made for people on their feet a lot and has a great none skid sole.Cost around $50 and wear forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    Just bought some Giant Romeo's Jim; Thanks. It is the shoe lace feature I like best
    LOL, You're welcome Garry. FYI - the NB's worked well at Wallace Falls St Park yesterday - 4+ miles and no pain !!!

I have over-pronation (feet turn in), and the sole of any shoe I buy wears out (on the inside portion) in about six months, further aggravating the over-pronation problem. I use non-prescription heel inserts (higher on the inside than the outside) to help compensate for the over-pronation. But, I got tired of buying hundred dollar shoes only to have them wear out in six months. Now I never pay for than $30 for shoes, but I replace them every six months. My favorites have been Rugged Exposure, $20 from Big 5 Sporting Goods. They look good. They have good traction for roofs. The uppers are durable. My current pair has lasted eight months. I have also found acceptable inexpensive shoes at Target.

Merrick Inspections LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Skalski View Post
    About the roofs, I have had success using an old couch cushion on the steep roofs. It grips well, spreading out weight.<--no liability is assumed by tipsters recommendation.
    I can not imagine how a couch cushion can be helpful on a roof... other than strapping it to your a$$ in the event of a fall, in which case I recommend a mattress.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

I'm glad someone brought this thread back up, it reminded my to post a follow up.

3 months after getting the CF inserts.
    First time in years that my feet did not hurt every night.
    I'm sold.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I'm glad someone brought this thread back up, it reminded my to post a follow up.

I'm sold.

Glad you're feeling better Rick

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I'm sold.
    What is CF?

CF = Custom Fit
    It is what Dr Scholl's call them

I had a feeling. Thanks.

I too buy my shoes at Walmart. I think around $35.00. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever had. They last about 10 to 12 months and I simply buy a new pair. Nothing better at any price....

Matt Buehrer Guest

CF = Custom Fit
    It is what Dr Scholl's call them

Hi group,

Rick, Good tip on the Dr. Scholls... I have Plantar Fasciitis and its been a real pain! First time it started happening it was simply putting me down (literally) - I couldn't walk, it was so bad - And I ignore most pain or deal with it - but this was bad.... . My doc referred me to physical therapy and it helped tremendously along with the exercises... It doesn't seem to ever go away completely - maybe for a couple of weeks and then its back again... The foot arch stretching was the best help. ...ball of foot on the edge of a stair and then lift and lower heel... I, too, paid a bunch of money for inserts which really help and have had for about a year, now. I bought something being sold through the shoe store but I'm going to try the Dr. Scholls when I replace the ones I have now.

Matt

Rick, thanks for the info-mercial. I've got weird feet and pronated ankles ...yada, yada... I've the seen the ad for that Dr. Scholl's thing but didn't want to spend the money on "another" orthodic that didn't work. I'm going to Wally world and get some of these based on your recommendation.

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Comforting to see I'm not the only one with foot problems. I have mild gout (on allopurinol for it), and also have Charcot's disease (an arch ailment which reverses the alignment of the arch). I've also had 2 toe amputations, attributed to living with Type I diabetes, on insulin, since 1962.

My best work boot has been a pair of Wolverine Multishox slip-ons, with built-in cushion insoles. They are extremely comfortable on roofs of all pitches (I don't walk anything steeper than 6:12) or on the ground, and they never "stink up" with sweat odor, either. Only pair I've been able to wear for 15-hour days, many days in a row, with no discomfort. Could never say that about the many pairs of Redwings I've bought and worn out over the years.

I was reading old threads and wanted to post an update

It's been almost a year since I started using the shoe inserts. Still doing good.
    I'm even wearing the same shoes.
    Normally I replace shoes at 5-6 months.
    Almost never have foot pain anymore.

I was reading old threads and wanted to post an update

It's been almost a year since I started using the shoe inserts. Still doing good.
    I'm even wearing the same shoes.
    Normally I replace shoes at 5-6 months.
    Almost never have foot pain anymore.
    Sure , Now your ears hurt, haha, cutom fit ear plugs or a pair of socks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Sure , Now your ears hurt, haha, cutom fit ear plugs or a pair of socks

socks go in the mouth of the offender

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Sure , Now your ears hurt, haha,
    Not my ears, it's a pain in my neck. But I better not say too much, "She" may be close by.

I've had on and off back pain and problems pretty much my entire adult life. I remember this thread from awhile back and I picked up a pair of Dr. Scholls custom fit inserts and they really have helped a lot. It's not like I'm totally cured but I can definitely tell a difference when I walk around in sandals or somthing else for a couple days that don't have the inserts.

I just got the $10 cheapies at Walgreens and keep meaning to get the $50 ones where you stand in the machine. Anyway, if you have any foot, knee or back pain invest the $10 and it may help.

The same day that I read your post (which was a few months ago, I went to Walmart and bought a pair of them-there expensive shoe inserts.

I can't say that they've helped my back or knees, but they are so comfortable, that I'll replace them when they wear out. I can't believe that I'm saying this, but they are actually worth fifty bucks!

Thanks for the post.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.