Larry Hood Guest

Default Garage overhead doors

For all you Florida inspectors,how do you determine if a house meets the current wind load code when so many homes were built prior to 2002 wind load changes. My area of concern is central florida polk county.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Garage overhead doors

If the house was designed and built to the applicable code at the time of permit application, then that includes the wind load requirements.

If your asking about garage doors, then the rating should be affixed to the door (on a sticker).

Depending upon age, unless someone retrofits the structure, its unlikely the original door(s) would be listed for current standards.

Larry Hood Guest

Thanks Dom Not much I can do about the house but in our rehab process we have to bring doors,including the garage,and windows,insulation etc,to current codes.It is rare that I find a sticker and the houses I am most concerned with are the ones built between 2000 and 2004 during the code change.The older homes we just replace everything.

Maritza Leen Guest

It seems that it is better to replace garage doors with some new which will answer the relevant standards.

william siegel Guest

The only other thing you can do to look for proof, if you want to spend the time, is to look for permits for each door then look up the NOA to see if it complies or not. But that is time consuming and potentially expensive if you charge by the hour.