Default Any concern caused on this deck built

Home owner DIY, not done yet, should I call it patio which does not need a permit?
    Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Any concern caused on this deck built

Call it a patio or deck, either way it has a host of issues.

Most 2x PT lumber is not rated for ground contact. Usually only 4x or larger is approved for ground contact.

Railings are not requried because it is less than 30 inches above grade. Railings should be bolted and have less than 4 inch space between parts.

Blocking between the joists should not be necessary. The joists need either hangers or ledgers (and not have direct ground contact or have a higher percentage of pressure treating to allow for ground contact.)

Refer to http://www.awc.org/publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf for the proper way to build a deck.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Garry Blankenship Guest

The already rotting wood shows some of it has been in place for a while. Cannot see adequately, but some space between the decking planks is needed to avoid water trapping / stacking and in this case promote some ventilation. All should be treated lumber & earth contact avoided. It's destined to become an ant farm and/or harbor "suspected organic biological growth". The railing is not necessary, but whatever she desires. It's a one year installation. After that; not far to fall.

Looks like the septic tank under the deck.

Darrel Hood Guest

IMO permitted or not is not a question that should concern a home inspector. I would report the deficient items I observed and not mention permitting.

It is what it is. Buyer should be glad that they know what is under the decking boards. It will be something that they will replace at some time just like any deck. Railing there or not there or under construction. Let them know what the spacing on the balusters should be for safety. Your list could go on.

I would mention the steep height going to the deck as something to be addressed in the short term.

Surprised seller did not finish up before inspection.

Maybe had to many other things to hide and just did not get to deck.

Mike Davis Guest

Wouldn't the stairs leading to the next level need to have handrails?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Looks like the septic tank under the deck.
    What makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Wouldn't the stairs leading to the next level need to have handrails?
    Yes. At least one handrail.

Quote Originally Posted by gary carroll View Post
    What makes you say that?
    Raymond sees a rectangular concrete object under the deck with a couple of concrete pavers laid on top that could be lids. He has seen houses where the goofs built a deck over the septic tank because they are stupid.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Home owner DIY, not done yet, should I call it patio which does not need a permit?
    Thanks
    If it is attached to the main building at all, no matter what you call it, it becomes subject to local building codes including proper footings set below the frost line and so on. Even a permit from the City. Joist hangers most likely are required in your area for decks? Also, it needs the proper lag bolt configuration at the house rim joist, pressure treated wood in contact with soil and so on.

I call a structure like this a deck if is AT ANY POINT attached to the main building, regardless of its height above grade, because anywhere one researches how to build or the proper way to construct a "deck" they come away with a structure attached to a building.

If it is free standing but not physically attached to a building, even if its's rubbing on it, I call it a platform. Again, no matter the height. Platforms are not subject to building codes that I am aware of. Note: A platform is typically thought of as being movable, even if it takes a coupe of hefty guys and a small boy.

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Knauff View Post
    Platforms are not subject to building codes that I am aware of.
    Once the platform is 30 or more inches above grade it requires a permit and needs to comply with the building code. 2012 IRC Section 105.1, item 10:
    Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Weck View Post
    Once the platform is 30 or more inches above grade it requires a permit and needs to comply with the building code. 2012 IRC Section 105.1, item 10:
    Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.
    Good one Fred, I wasn't aware they updated that. It needed it. Since I've moved south from MN I never see platforms much less decks anymore.

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook