Stephen G Sheldon Guest

Default AC Condensate Line

Is there a reason why the condensate line from the condensate pump is in pvc? I notice that in some instances the small diameter clear plastic tubing runs all the way to the outside and in other cases the pvc is run all the way to the outside. Just curious as to why the need for the PVC pipe.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: AC Condensate Line

I have seen a lot of instances where the plastic tube has collapsed or has accidentally been crimped shut causing the A-coil tray to over flow. I assume the main reason to use a rigid pipe is to avoid this.

Galen L. Beasley
    Inspections Supervisor
    Housing Authority of Kansas City MO

mon - friday till 12 pm pvc
    friday after 12pm plastic tube

Cool Re: AC Condensate Line

The condensate drainage to the pump is gravity fed (1% grade). This means the slighest restriction such as algae or dirt can inhibit flow whereas the discharge of the pump is under positive pressure so a smaller diameter is allowed. In gravity systems with no pump, it should remain 3/4" pvc the whole way. One notable exception is the secondary heat exchanger, which is almost always a 1/2" rubber hose adapted to 1/2" pvc such as a 3/4 x1/2x3/4 pvc tee in the vertical riser to the pump.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Rod Smith Guest

LOL Wayne! So true....!

David Bell Guest

Most condensate pumps are sold with a maximum lift which is based on the 3/8 tubing. Using larger diameter materials will drastically reduce the lift capability of the pump.