R Sheeler Guest

Default Vertical crack above garage up to window

I have a house that is less than 3 years old and there is a vertical crack running from garage door up to window above garage. Is this usually a structural issue?

My real estate agent put me with a private builder and he gave us a one year warranty but nothing about a structural warranty. I am in Kentucky if that matters.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Vertical crack above garage up to window

You need to tell us if your house is built from sticks, straw or bricks.

Take a few pics, reduce them to 640 x 480 pixels or similar and post them here.
    If it is bricks, is it brick veneer? What is the structure behind the brick? Is the garage on a slab? Is there a steel lintel above the garage door, holding the bricks up?

A one year warranty on a new house is a sick joke, BTW. Homeowners in your county should stop buying new houses until builders start backing up their products.
    The standard warranty here is 1 year for parts and labor, 5 years for building envelope and 10 years for the structure.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Probably a bad header over the garage door. Close the door, look at the header. Is it cracked, bowed are warped? Is it wood lumber or an engineered LVL, 1 car or 2 car?

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Need more info - is the crack inside or outside? Is is a straight vertical crack on drywall, stair step on brick? Is the crack apparent on both sides of the wall. If it's a new home then I wouldn't necessarily be getting too concern just yet.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by R Sheeler View Post
    I have a house that is less than 3 years old and there is a vertical crack running from garage door up to window above garage. Is this usually a structural issue?

My real estate agent put me with a private builder and he gave us a one year warranty but nothing about a structural warranty. I am in Kentucky if that matters.
    Humm, the house is in KY! KY is also home to some major cave and underground river systems..... It could even be a sinkhole under the house..

You need to hire a very good home inspector, get a new real estate agent and follow the advise of the inspector and not the agent when it comes to the condition of the home!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

R Sheeler Guest

It is brick. The crack is mostly straight up the outside of the garage. This is a two car garage.