Patricia Kaiser Guest

Default Electric ceramic kiln

What are the precautions I should take to safely install and operate a ceramic kiln that runs on 240 volts; 63A/1ph (36.3A/3ph); 15.1 KW OR 208 volts; 73A/1ph (41.9A/3ph); 15.1 KW?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Electric ceramic kiln

Have a licensed electrician install the outlet and fan for heat removal
    call your local fire marshall and ask them what they require
    call the manufatured and ask them what they require
    call another potter in the state and ask them what they have done and what hoops they were made to jump through
    and beware of ghosts

A proper outlet is needed.
    Proper ventilation is needed.
    Proper clearance around the unit is needed (for the heat!).

Patricia Kaiser Guest

Thank you for your responses!

Garry Blankenship Guest

15KW is quite a bit of power. The electrical installer should be licensed for several reasons; to determine that you have adequate power availability and to safely provide what you need. The venting concern is more important in my view and should also be addressed by a licensed pro.

Patricia Kaiser Guest

Smile Re: Electric ceramic kiln

Thanks, Garry. It is clear that I will need some professional assistance when installing a kiln, both from an electrician and HVAC expert.

Robert Meier Guest

I'm curious about the voltages and the same 15.1 KW output, are these the same unit or do you need to order a kiln based on the supply voltage that you have in the building?

Patricia Kaiser Guest

Thanks for all the helpful thoughts. The specifications come from the manufacturer, and I am guessing that the differences in power requirements give people the option of a higher or lower voltage.

At present, I am looking at real estate, hoping to find a place to move where I can install and operate a kiln - not sure what power options will be available yet.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

There are home insurers who balk at indemnifying properties utilizing ceramic kilns.

Patricia Kaiser Guest

Insurance is certainly important. We would not install a kiln without adequate coverage. Thanks!

Robert Meier Guest

Do most insurance policies have clauses about kilns? I'm wondering how they would even know if someone installed one.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    Do most insurance policies have clauses about kilns? I'm wondering how they would even know if someone installed one.
    After the house burns down and there is a kiln and some nice pots left

Seriously, it sounds like the OP is on the right track.... make sure you install the kiln properly (manufacturer's specs, etc.), get it permitted and notify your insurance co. After that.... have fun. I took ceramics in high school and have thrown a few pots at the local community center over the years.... it's really a lot of fun. I wish I had more time to devote to it.

Garry Blankenship Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    I'm curious about the voltages and the same 15.1 KW output, are these the same unit or do you need to order a kiln based on the supply voltage that you have in the building?
    Copy that Robert. Probably ordered voltage specific. Since "X" amount of heat is the goal, the only way I can see the same KW with either 208 or 240 is an adjustable tap. The additional element already built in and you choose the correct voltage tap. Did some work for a commercial pottery operation that made those red clay flower pots. The fumes from those kilns were really bad. Something inside that clay was noxious / bad news, ( not to mention it was hotter than "_ell" in there.

cuba_pete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Kaiser View Post
    What are the precautions I should take to safely install and operate a ceramic kiln that runs on 240 volts; 63A/1ph (36.3A/3ph); 15.1 KW OR 208 volts; 73A/1ph (41.9A/3ph); 15.1 KW?
    240V 3Φ power? That's an odd one. You would need a delta (high leg) transformer to convert that over from the feeder. However, most muncipalities do not allow splits for a premises service. If this is a business I would go for a 208 three phase service so you could additionally retain the extra 1/3 120V service without the wasted high leg (208V 1Φ).

Garry Blankenship Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cuba_pete View Post
    240V 3Φ power? That's an odd one. You would need a delta (high leg) transformer to convert that over from the feeder. However, most muncipalities do not allow splits for a premises service. If this is a business I would go for a 208 three phase service so you could additionally retain the extra 1/3 120V service without the wasted high leg (208V 1Φ).
    Thanks for that Pete. My limited powers of observation missed the three phase options. Those units either come w/ a gazillion leads to custom connect for the available voltage or those are available factory pre-wired options. I should amend my recommendations to the OPer for hiring a pro to add "and to help you order the correct unit".

I have a similar kiln that I used for fusing glass, in a former home and previous life in NM. Hooked it up to the 220 V. line that previously powered a hot tub (with heater) in a sun room. I built a custom, rolling steel table with a concrete top to set the kiln on, and it worked like a charm. Still have the table and kiln, both in temporary storage until I get back into glass work.

Too many hobbies, too little time . . . . .