Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Repair Requests Not Getting Completed

I can't recall the last reinspect of repair items I did where all the requested repairs were done or done properly. Just today, I inspected some repair items from an inspection I did 1 month ago. The panel had two 20 amp breakers that were wired with 14 gauge wire. The buyer requested those breakers be changed to 15 amp breakers (not my recommendation). The electrician changed one of them from a 20 amp to a 30 amp breaker, still with 14 gauge (sizzle sizzle). There was mold on drywall next to the basement powder room sink in the first inspection. It was supposedly remediated and the drywall replaced. Nope, mold still there behind the vanity cabinet and drywall never replaced. Last week, I reinspected repair items on a house that needed replacement of 10 plumbing vent flashing boots and various other roof issues in need of repair. The buyer said all items should have been addressed. Nope. Eight of the 10 boots were replaced and no other roof related issues addressed.

These are just from the small handful of reinspects I do. I can't imagine what is sliding through on the ones the buyer does not have me come back to inspect.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Repair Requests Not Getting Completed

It really is irritating. I know I am not supposed to involve myself in negotiations but I usually advise clients to ask for a credit rather than have the seller in charge of repairs.

END GLOBAL WHINING

Nick, you're not charging enough. If you did, they would.
    And add into the deal that :" if my inspector finds that all items were not repaired properly as per agreement, homeowner will have to pay for the reinspections till the job is finished right".

Hmmmmm.....so the more I charge, the more the buyers feel the pinch and therefore put more pressure on the sellers who tell the pros they hire to do it right or else. I think the only definite there is I make more money....which I'm OK with. . At the end of the day, somebody is going to fudge on repairs somewhere.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Right, at which point you go back again and get paid by the owners.
    People take us for granted.
    They look at us like they look at the handiman who cleans their gutters

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Right, at which point you go back again and get paid by the owners.
    People take us for granted.
    They look at us like they look at the handiman who cleans their gutters
    Not me. I'm too friggin' old to be the guy that cleans their gutters.

Funny, I don't do reinspects. 2 or 3 in the last 2 or 3 years. Different client expectations, I guess.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Around here it's always crawl spaces. You get out to a house the day before closing to check on a laundry list of crap under the house only find that it hasn't been touched. Next comes a flurry of phone calls.... there must have been some misunderstanding.... "the guy" still has to come finish up.... he said it's done..... they didn't know what you "wanted"..... I've heard every excuse there is.

IMO, it just comes down to lame sellers that didn't think anyone would check up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    .........IMO, it just comes down to lame sellers that didn't think anyone would check up on them.
    That and I think they just decide they don't want to bother and will just issue a credit at settlement if they get called on it. In some cases, I've seen where it appeared the person they hired to make repairs took it upon themself to do what they wanted to do and not what was requested.

Post Re: Repair Requests Not Getting Completed

Well, in reading the thread, the thought came to mind that "you can't fix stupid." Whether it is a seller who refuses or neglects to get the work done, or contractors who do not do the work correctly/don't understand what is to be done/don't agree with the code/ etc. so-on and so forth, the sad fact is that all too frequently the renegotiated agreement for the "fixes" is not honored. The all-time winner for me was a duplex being purchased as an investment property. One AC compressor did not work properly, and some one had worked on the main electrical panel, replacing the 1 inch blunt-tipped factory screws with 1-1/2 inch sheet metal screws. The seller had the compressor serviced, and the service notes said "compressor is shot, run till dead." The electrician told the seller that "the pointed screws are fine." He failed to put that in writing. End result: no deal.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Nick, My experiences parallel yours. A vast majority of repairs are performed incorrectly. Some are not even made at all despite documentations to the contrary from sellers and contractors. I don't get many requested for re-inspections - people have a lot a blind faith.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Glad to hear it's not just me Eric. During an inspection a few weeks ago where the damaged ceiling joists in the basement were repaired in a very sloppy and inadequate manner, the buyer asked her realtor if they would want me to come inspect any repairs that have to be made. The realtor said "no, nobody does that. When somebody says they're going to fix something they do it". Uhhhhh.......not quite.

This is the worst case I've seen with one of my clients where repairs were borderline criminal. My client did not ask me to inspect the repairs until it was too late. http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...s+in+the+attic

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 06-08-2012 at 08:19 AM.