Default downspout drain to window well

First time I saw this. it looks like EPDM membrane under gravel. Downspout drains to the gravel. also downspouts drain above & underground in this building. Why did they build this single one like this?

2001 detached.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: downspout drain to window well

I would assume this runs down to the footing drains, along with the drain in the window well.

Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer

useing the footing drains is a bad idea and is the cause of many basement floods

Quote Originally Posted by Door Guy View Post
    I would assume this runs down to the footing drains, along with the drain in the window well.
    I saw standing water in the well when I open up the hose tap. possible open-up to window well. I cannot imagine Why it needed to go here to connect perimeter drain.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    useing the footing drains is a bad idea and is the cause of many basement floods
    most buildings in this way in this area

The downspouts should be directing the water as far away from the building as possible and I would not recommend that it go into the footing drains as they can get overloaded. Certainly into a window well area will lead to nothing good that I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dennison View Post
    The downspouts should be directing the water as far away from the building as possible and I would not recommend that it go into the footing drains as they can get overloaded. Certainly into a window well area will lead to nothing good that I can think of.
    If they used solid pipe and ran it along side the footing drain to daylight, I don't see a problem with it. That would be better than running it on top of the ground. I agree, not a good idea to use the drain for gutters and over load it.

Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer