Default Heat pump freezes up

Packaged heat pump is not working properly. Looked inside the fan area and the components are iced over. Low Freon? Or what could be the cause?

Jim

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Heat pump freezes up

Call a HVAC guy and have them take a look.

Chad Norlen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post
    Packaged heat pump is not working properly. Looked inside the fan area and the components are iced over. Low Freon? Or what could be the cause?

Jim
    Some possible causes are low refrigerant charge, low air flow, failed components. Refer to HVAC technician.

on the cool side, if the interior condenser unit is freezing up, it,s usually low refrigerant charge.
    Exterior condenser freezeup would be clogged filter

Zibby Bujno Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post

Jim
    So air handler is iced up? did you check air filter? how about air return, is it covered with carpet?

Bob Cone Guest

Low airflow is the first suspect. If it was low of refrigerant, there will not be enough refrigerant to freeze the entire indoor coil, only the first portion. The other thing would be a lack of "down time". The practice of setting the thermostat progressively lower & lower to achieve comfort is very, very wrong. A unit needs some off time; cycling on/off is expected.
    Always be suspicious of airflow!

I agree with Zibby, dirty air filter. I am amazed at how often this simple maintenance procedure causes home owners to freak out when their AC is not working.

I especially know this because it has happened to me. Many years ago, but yes I am guilty.