Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Patricia Kaiser Guest

Default Re: Mike Holmes said we need an IR camera

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Canadian case law suggests law suits result due to inspectors not pointing out conditions which cause mould, or there was mould but they didn't explain the implications of same to client, and/or failed to have the client take further investigative measures.

Here is one most recent example and the resultant costly outcome for the inspector who I happen to know. This case was posted sometime ago on this site.

CanLII - 2011 ONSC 390 (CanLII)
    As a homeowner in the States, with interest in buying a new home, I found this Canadian example of liability quite illuminating. I wonder if the US law is much different from the Canadian? Would the suit have gone the same way if it was filed, say, in Pennsylvania?

Inspection Referral

I'm not sure it necessarily would go differently after reading it. We know the inspector was found to have 50% of the liability...but what was that number? When we say something cost the home inspector dearly, are we talking about $10,000? $100,000?

It appears to be from January 2011 and no damages noted thus far if I'm reading correctly.

Default Re: Mike Holmes says Licensing good for Homeowners

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wood View Post
    I have received more than enough controversy over this so after viewing the comment I made please let me know what you think!
    Certification right for inspectors: college | Local | News | Sault Star

OHHH Please.. If this quote { 'Yes I would Like to add the Comment that I am a InterNachi Inspector that has also applied and been granted to be a Certified Master Inspector} from your reply on the link is what you believe to be accountable certificiations, we all know what the rest of the professional inspectors believe about your super master inspector certification, and your instant on-line quiz certificiation

Go... Mr Mike Holmes and do something to make inspectors accountable for their home inspector certificiations, or lack of them

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

[96] I therefore proportion liability as follows:

Westbrook Inspection Services Limited 50%
    Lazarus and Coldwell Banker Terrequity Realty 25%
    Glenda Halliwell 25%

On appeal the appellate court reversed the decision of the lower court and apportioned 100% of negligence on Westbrook Inspection Services from 50%.

That brought the costs of the inspector if memory serves me to $100K and he didn't carry E&O.

I happen to know the inspector.

Sucks for him no doubt, this is why you carry E & O!

While $100k is a relatively large amount of money, the number of cases involving home inspectors that even come close to these numbers is miniscule. When you spoke to this inspector, was his general feeling that these people were out to hurt him, or were there steps he could have taken leading up to this to settle it for less?

Didn't get to the nitty gritty as to the complainants and whether they were out to get him.

Mikes new ad.

Mike Holmes Inspections | Message From Mike
    9 seconds into clip hear what he thinks inspectors should be telling the client.

Funny, he talks about better inspections but then the website says they adhere to the ASHI Standards of Practice...
    Sounds long on marketing but short on specifics of how they are better... but they do say they cost more.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Mike takes a cut, all his inspections are subcontracted out, they have no in house inspectors.Thus, one reason for the additional cost.

Even here in the lower 48, I occasionally have a client asking about Holmes doing something differently than me...........I think you enter dangerous ground by saying anything negative about Holmes to a client that thinks Holmes walks on water.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Why do you think that given that Holmes is not certified by any home inspection association, and is not a home inspector, but a contractor who has continually showed just how ignorant of the profession he is.

His statements on his promotion video speaks to his ignorance.

Stephen G Guest

Job One: Temper Expectations

Job Two: De-bunk the Mike Holmes experience

It must be within the first few minutes inside any home...they ask 'do you watch MH...' (well I have to don't I).....I reply yes, and then we have a nice talk about actors and TV and how long he was in the house, and that he isnt a Home inspector and yes he has a nice show... not quite a reality TV show....Oh and he knocks every wall down he sees...and if my mom had a month in any home she cold find some major problems if they existed.....so this all circles back to ...

Job One...

WOW – Mike Holmes must be the cause of the plague and other pestilence!

An interesting phenomenon of life is, for some reason people like to cut other people down in a vain attempt to build themselves up! I happens in politics and in every occupation and I know it works in politics (in the short term) it is dumb. Sales people talk about the marketing department, marketing people carp on sales people and trades people are quick to point out something they disagree with and then attack the offending trade that did the job.
    It does not matter if you think poorly of Mike Holmes or well of him, if you want to criticize him criticize a specific item and not the person and suggest what should be done otherwise you (IMHO) look the fool. I have watched his show (it is entertaining) and like everyone he is not perfect. However, it appears that he is trying to do right in the industries he serves. How well he is doing you can judge but he is obviously trying and god forbids he is also trying to make money. If you disagree with that…OK but then do something about it and don’t just carp. I realize he works out of Canada and there are different standards but the message he has sent to average people has been clear and consistent.
    Check out anyone you hire, make sure they are good at what they do and have a track record.
    Get permits
    Hire a home inspector before you buy.

How can you honestly criticize these items!!!

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

I have to admit I have never seen the Mike Holmes show. Of course, clients have mentioned it to me.

I have seen this parody which is pretty funny.

Holmes on Homes at Home - YouTube

Jeff

The problem is that Mr. Holmes is making statements that don't wash.
    The last link I provided is another example of Holmes not having a clue about what an inspectors responsibilities are. For him to suggest inspector are to tell clients when to sell, is not the responsibility of the inspector and goes against the ethics of most associations.

If he wants to be a pontificate for the inspection business he had better get his facts straight and leave the bravado at home.

As to doing something about his statements, I know for a fact I have personally asked him both on a radio show and his facebook page about his qualifications and he never answers. How could he when he doesn't belong to any inspection associations.

He should put his money where his mouth is. He has been quoted on numerous media forums that he is a mould expert, IAQ expert, iR and qualified home inspector.

If I acted in the same manner to my clients and the public I would most certainly be called to task.

Regrettably no association has seen fit to call him out on the misnomers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123