Default Ceiling tiles with Asbestos

Do these ceiling tiles have a probability of being manufactured with asbestos reinforcing fibers?

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Ceiling tiles with Asbestos

Not likely with a brown core. While its a "possibility", I've never found asbestos in ceiling tiles that had a brown core.

Thank you for the reply, what color would the core be if there was a probability of asbestos ? ...white?

Wayne,
    Reading through the link I was not able to determine where it demonstrated how to determine if there was asbestos present. The article title is misleading, with a lot of cover your a _ _, in that there is no definitive statement made. Culminating in "...For a single damaged ceiling tile such as in your photo, I'm doubtful that calling a professional asbestos abatement company will be justified, but if you treat the material as Presumed Asbestos Containing Material (PACM) that means using appropriate methods for cleanup and then encapsulation or covering of the damaged section....". If a contractor or anyone says it is asbestos then there is no technical/legal recourse but to call in a Lic. Abatement Contractor with their haz-mat equipment/methods.

The source often has good insight in some areas but really fails with asbestos.

If the core is white or grey, then it's "suspect", and should be tested.
    While there still "could be" asbestos in the brown tiles, I never found any in all of the ceiling tiles I have tested (hundreds). Testing is always suggested on anything you are not sure of (its pretty cheap).

Was wondering and worrying about the makeup of these ceiling tiles...1970s drop ceiling, on metal grid, measuring 2' x 4'. They've been painted (white paint a little on side). One photo shows side of tile, revealing core. Thank you for any help!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images