Thread: Greetings

Paul Wolf Guest

Default Greetings

This is a great forum. I have found a wealth of information here. Many of the threads are very interesting, informative and thought provoking. OTOH, some appear to be more personal in nature "my way (or opinion) is better than yours..." etc. I guess we take the good with the bad.

I live in New Hampshire. (I did notice a few members from this area). I am interested in possibly changing careers and starting a home inspection business. I have a great deal of (personal) experience in residential building, remodeling, and construction as well as residential heating, plumbing and electrical systems, and major appliance repair. Though I have not done any of it for a living. I have been in the computer industry for 28 years and am considering a change.

I have had two inspections done for me (long ago), and I have been present for a handfull more over the years as friends and relatives purchased (or sold) their houses and invited me along. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. An HI's worst nightmare. Following closely, getting in the way, badgering him with a million questions etc. No. It wasn't like that at all. I stayed in the background and just observed. I was very surprised at the wide variety of methods. I was equally surprised to see the wide variation in the thoroughness of the inspections as well.

After seeing the inspectors in action, inspecting the properties, communicating with their clients, and after having viewed the reports and results, there is no doubt in my mind that I am well suited for this profession and vice-versa.

I have more questions regarding membership in the HI professional organizations. Certification. Training/education. Exams. Gaining experience. Tools of the trade etc. But before posting them, I thought I'd wait and see if there is not a better time and place for them.

Any advice or comments are welcome.

Thanks Paul...

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Greetings

Welcome Paul! And ask away - there's no time like the present, or, as a friend of mine liked to say, there's no time BUT the present. And don't forget the board archive - a great resource!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com