Roger Mills Guest

Default Natural Gas Log Lighter - For lighting wood logs

Hello, I am building a new home in Woburn, MA, my plumber has installed a gas line with in-wall (key controlled manual shutoff), it feeds a manually lighted gas log lighter pipe inside the firebox (under the wood grate) of a brick wood burning fireplace. Can I do this - do I need to install something other than the manually lighted log lighter pipe inside the firebox?? Local inspector is questioning this installation and is asking whether this is approved. thanks

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Natural Gas Log Lighter - For lighting wood logs

Your plumber, if licensed, should be able to demonstrate that the installation is correct. Put the plumber with the inspector for resolution. If plumber can not demonstrate correct installation then plumber is responsible for cost to correct. Bottom line the plumber owns the work and it must pass the inspection to be valid.

Local inspector should be able to recognize if it is acceptable or not. But that is a different discussion.

I've seen them in new construction within the past few years. I'm kind of surprised, but as far as I know it's still allowed. Not sure it should be, myself.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Absolutely allowed, no problem. The fireplace manufacturers provide a knock out specifically for the purpose. Tell your inspector to get out more.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I've seen them in new construction within the past few years. I'm kind of surprised, but as far as I know it's still allowed. Not sure it should be, myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Absolutely allowed, no problem. The fireplace manufacturers provide a knock out specifically for the purpose. Tell your inspector to get out more.
    OK, but does the fireplace damper need to be blocked so that it can't be closed tight? I would think so.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I don't think the question is about being allowed.
    It most likely about how it was done.

"...installed a gas line with in-wall (key controlled manual shutoff), ..."

Shutoff valve not exposed/accessible ?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    OK, but does the fireplace damper need to be blocked so that it can't be closed tight? I would think so.
    This is a starter, not gas logs. You will still have a visual signal (smoke) if the damper is closed when starting a wood burning fire. In my opinion, no blocking the damper is not required unless logs are installed. I'm sure that Bob can give a more definitive answer.
    The keyed valve is accessible in the same room as the fireplace.
    From what you describe, this is done in every new home that has been built here for the last 15 years or more.
    We're talking maybe a half million homes across 20 or more different AHJ municipalities just in the DFW area alone.
    This is not to say that makes it right but I have not seen anything that says it is wrong, except some verbiage in some HI software.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Roger Mills Guest

Angry Re: Natural Gas Log Lighter - For lighting wood logs

Jim,

Thanks for your reply, I agree with you, mine is absolutely installed correctly - but it appears Massachusetts is different. I got the following response directly via email from one of the gas log lighter manufacturers...."against code in Massachusetts, not approved product by Massachusetts board of gas fitters".

I also visited about a dozen different local fireplace stores - they all said the same thing - gas log lighters are illegal in Massachusetts, doesn't matter how they are installed. I have only two options at this point ....permanently remove the gas connection all together and just start a wood fire with matches/paper/kindling or install a gas log set (ceramic logs) - however, installing a gas log set in Massachusetts requires removing the damper in the flue or having it permanently welded open......that's the Massachusetts plumbing inspection rules unfortunately.

Your plumber should have known that it was against code for MA to install. I took it that a Lic Plumber installed and he is responsible for installing/or not installing if against code. His liability. I took inspector as local code enforcement. Was a permit pulled?????

Sad that you have gone to this effort for what the plumber should have told you from the beginning.

I have gone to using a MAP Gas torch to start fire. 30-45sec and is lit. Getting lazzyy.