Default GA plumbing code

Last Tuesday I took a plumbing class for my CE's
    On 7-1-2012 GA has a few changes
    New requirements are: (new construction and changes)
    1.28 gal per flush for toilets not 1.6
    2.5 GPM on shower heads
    2.0 GPM sink faucet
    1.5 GPM Lav faucet
    (some exceptions allowed)
    In short all fixtures and installed DW's must be "Water sense" rated

Water-less urinals must now have water stubbed at the fixture
    Recirculation pump is required if hot water run is longer that 50'

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Default Re: GA plumbing code

Thanks Rick. I will check the GA DCA website for an updated amendment. I assume this is for all permits obtained 7-1-12 or later.

Aren't all these "code" changes just wonderful. The next thing they will want to do is tell you how many squares of toilet paper you can use to wipe your behind. Welcome to the world of big brother. My question is how do you determine if the fixture (shower head, faucet, etc.) is rated for the gpm? Are they marked in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Scott View Post
    ... My question is how do you determine if the fixture (shower head, faucet, etc.) is rated for the gpm? Are they marked in some way?
    Atlanta (therefore all of Georgia) is under mandate to reduce water consumption from rivers and lakes, primarily those that run through Alabama and Florida.
    Hence, the adoption of water saving code changes.
    Each of these fixtures are listed as water saving fixtures by having a "Water Sense" label. City inspectors just look for the label.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I have already run into the really low flush toilets in a rehab I recently inspected...told my client, sure hope it works flushing down solids...there seemed to be so very little water going down. I would not be surprised to find people having to flush multiple times to get #2 down, especially with low quality toilets.

Those 1.26 gpf toilets are available at Lowe's, and probably at Home Depot too ??, because I bought one there last year.

While the code here is still 1.6 gpf, Ormond Beach gives out a $50 credit for the 1.26 gpf lower flow ones, up to two per house (buying my second one in a few weeks for the hall bath).

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised that it works extremely well and does not require double flushing like the older versions of the 1.6 gpf ones needed.

The toilet I replaced used 7 gpf! (I measured it at the water meter) as the tank was marked "Commercial" and should never have been installed in the house anyway (the hall bath one also has the same "Commercial" marking in the tank).

There are toilets available which have the two separate flushes for water and waste (designated as #1 and #2 as I guess we were all taught that as young'ns). The problem with those is that they are 1.6 gpf for waste and that flush button can be used all the time - no discount for those, even though the water flush is only 0.8 gpf - just nothing there to make sure it is used.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Sorry for the tread drift...

Jerry,

It's ironic that they will issue a credit to save a few hundred gallons per year, (1.2 vs 1.6) when regulators may approve a new cattle ranch in Ocala that would draw more than 13 million gallons per day.

And they wonder why no one takes water conversation seriously.

it is getting out of hand. i replaced my 30 year old shower valve and head with the new energy efficient ones. what a sorry a$$ shower now. i have a year round stream and a well and am stuck buying products that suck. waterless showers, sinks, and toilets are next.

Darrel Hood Guest

For the restricted shower heads, it is amazing the difference a drill press and 5 minutes can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    For the restricted shower heads, it is amazing the difference a drill press and 5 minutes can make.
    it worked for me on the shower head, maybe i'll enlarge the opening on the valve next. i bought one of the blowes 1.3 gallon per flush toilets. the turds need an assist (multiple flushes or run the tub)to make the long journey to their final resting place (septic tank).