Thread: AAV or vent

mathew stouffer Guest

Default AAV or vent

This trap are is about 8 inches. Is an AAV or vent required prior to the line down sloping.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: AAV or vent

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    This trap are is about 8 inches. Is an AAV or vent required prior to the line down sloping.
    A plumber who knows how to plumb sinks properly is needed!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Mathew, It looks like handyman plumbing 101. I also write up the flexible pipe; One or more sink drains use flexible drain pipe. This type of drain pipe is more likely to clog than smooth wall pipe. Recommend having a qualified plumber replace this pipe with standard plumbing components (smooth wall pipe) to prevent clogged drains. Must be nice up there in PC when it's this hot down here.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Bruce Booher Guest

That is called a "S" trap for good reason, and is "illegal". Do you know for sure what is behind the wall? Are you sure there is no tee and vent?
    AAV and a vent aren't really alternatives, the AAV is a different type of vent. If you are sure there is no vent pipe in the wall and the owner/buyer/whoever isn't going to run a pipe vent, I think the AAV is a good alternative. The "S" trap needs to go. There should be no need for a flex pipe with all the room they have under there.

It looks like if they made the tail pieces longer they could go straight into the wall without the need for the inverted trap at back. I'm not a plumber but I could do better than that.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

They should of came out of the wall with a 45 degree elbow, a short peice a pipe then a trap adaptor. Then they could of used a standard P-trap. The way they did this it makes an S-trap.