michael deshane Guest

Default looking to become home inspector.

Hello,
    I will retire from Navy in a few years and would like to get in the home inspection business. I plan to get the required certification and am working with inspectors on weekends as much as I can . I am posting this to get any advice or thoughts on how to get started. Is there a real demand for home inspectors in San Diego southern California area? Is there opportunity for new inspectors without the experience? My experience is with mechanical equipment for instance, diesel, air condition, auxiliary, steam etc. however 20 years of service has shown me how to be critical when it comes to inspections. I appreciate any thoughts. I have become fascinated with the home inspection process and would love to make it a career.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: looking to become home inspector.

HI Michael, and welcome to the forum.
    I'm sure there are a bunch of inspectors in the San Diego area that will chime in on the business environment in that area.
    You should search this forum on this topic and read the answers. Its been covered countless times over the years. The threads from the past three years will give you a more accurate picture of what might be ahead for you.

That was the welcome to the forum part, now to the harsh reality part....

Business has pretty much sucked in the home inspection industry for the past three or so years. While its coming back some, its still not where it should be. In general, there are too many inspectors for the amount of home sales in just about every market.

An inspector without experience is not a hot commodity at all. It would be very hard to get hired, and also very difficult to start off on your own. Would you want to get a root canal from the dentist that was going to do his first on you? While there may be some that would welcome an inexperienced inspector, so they could train and mold them, they are few and far between.

Your Navy experience will have very little benefit for being a home inspector. Being critical is a good skill set to have, but its really only a start. There is a lot more to being an excellent home inspector than meets the eye. The good ones only make it look easy.
    I'm not trying to be harsh (maybe a little), I'm just trying to be realistic.
    Good luck.

Stephen G Guest

Welcome Micheal, I retired from the Canadian Army 5 yrs ago with a mechanical and carpentry background. New inspectors get passed over because, the realtors income hinges on you helping them. They dont want the new saviour to pooch the deal. I have pooched many deals, I am certain I owe many lots of money...but I kept at it. My second year matched my first year in the first quarter. Nice.
    It was a lean year for the business, thankfully I served 27 yrs so my pensions kept me in KD and franks...beer.

If your serious about taking on the profession, read this site for a few months and then keep reading, many have left for many reasons.

Good luck Sailor

michael deshane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    HI Michael, and welcome to the forum.
    I'm sure there are a bunch of inspectors in the San Diego area that will chime in on the business environment in that area.
    You should search this forum on this topic and read the answers. Its been covered countless times over the years. The threads from the past three years will give you a more accurate picture of what might be ahead for you.

That was the welcome to the forum part, now to the harsh reality part....

Business has pretty much sucked in the home inspection industry for the past three or so years. While its coming back some, its still not where it should be. In general, there are too many inspectors for the amount of home sales in just about every market.

An inspector without experience is not a hot commodity at all. It would be very hard to get hired, and also very difficult to start off on your own. Would you want to get a root canal from the dentist that was going to do his first on you? While there may be some that would welcome an inexperienced inspector, so they could train and mold them, they are few and far between.

Your Navy experience will have very little benefit for being a home inspector. Being critical is a good skill set to have, but its really only a start. There is a lot more to being an excellent home inspector than meets the eye. The good ones only make it look easy.
    I'm not trying to be harsh (maybe a little), I'm just trying to be realistic.
    Good luck.
    I appreciate the honesty and is what I believed to read. Looks like I may keep this as a thought than a reality

Michael,
    I recently retired from the Navy in the SD area and started my own home inspection business. Contact me and I can help you some of the pitfalls and advantages in the market for SOCAL. (858)888-0961

michael deshane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Coulombe View Post
    Michael,
    I recently retired from the Navy in the SD area and started my own home inspection business. Contact me and I can help you some of the pitfalls and advantages in the market for SOCAL. (858)888-0961
    That is great to hear!!!!! i will call you this weekend im out on ship but will definately call thank again!!!!!

Stephen G Guest

Military networking at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by michael deshane View Post
    That is great to hear!!!!! i will call you this weekend im out on ship but will definately call thank again!!!!!