Default Do you guys see this brand of spigot in use elsewhere in the US or Canada?

I inspect in the Dallas area, where lots of homes are newer than 10 years old. I find this spigot in use nearly everywhere in newer homes. I see this type of spigot daily. Hundreds of them, month after month. Always the same brand, with a green handle, as shown in the photos. Nearly everyone of them has a drip-leak at the handle when the spigot is opened to allow water flow. In fact, it is rare when I find one that doesn't leak. In the photo you can see the water trip from the handle. I get tired of writing them up, report after report. It seems sooner or later, someone would notice and make a correction. I don't know why they are still being used. You would think they were made in China but they are stamped "USA". Do you guys see this brand of spigot in use elsewhere in the US or Canada?

Gene

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Do you guys see this brand of spigot in use elsewhere in the US or Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    I get tired of writing them up, report after report.
    Gene,

Make them a default in your report text, then add an "*" behind it, and at the "*" ...

* I have found that 99% of these hose bibbs leak, including this one, that it needs to be replaced with one of sufficient quality so as to not leak; and that if by chance it is no leaking when they check it, that 'stopping to leak on its own' is not a repair - it still needs to be replaced.

Now you no longer have to write it up - it's already in the report.

Cheap stuff is made in the USA too ... unfortunately ... and it may also have been 'made' in the USA in that it was assembled in the USA ... from imported parts.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: Do you guys see this brand of spigot in use elsewhere in the US or Canada?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

The type shown uses graphite packing under the packing nut just behind the handle. Over time they begin leaking at this nut and the leak is usually stopped by just tightening the nut slightly to put more pressure on the packing. Often it is necessary to remove the nut and replace the graphite packing (comes on a roll) and replace and tighten the nut.

You will find that in most cases when these are leaking the handle will turn quite loosely since there is insufficient pressure on the packing to prevent leakage. Generally no need to replace the valve.

Newer hose bibs use an "O" ring to prevent leakage and generally perform better, but still need replacement occasionally.

Steven, these are new spigots. I am seeing them leak on houses that are brand new, and nearly always when the house is only 3-5 years old. I do not find the handles turn any easier when the leak as when they don't.

Gene,

And do you notice that the handles are always "gummy" like? What is that all about. I see these faucets leaking as such on a daily basis.

Rick

That type of valve will often leak as you describe unless it is maintained frequently. The design is intended to be used as a shut off and rarely leaks if used used fully on and fully off. The packing is only marginally effective when the valve is between off and on. Inform you clients to turn it fully on when in use throttle the water flow with a different device.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Gene,

And do you notice that the handles are always "gummy" like? What is that all about. I see these faucets leaking as such on a daily basis.

Rick
    Ditto

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

This is a valve that needs maintenance not replacement. Yes you c an install a valve that requires less maintenance. But it is a maintenance issue, not a defective/replacement condition.

I know that society has become a replacement one rather than a keep it and fix it like generations before. A wrench and a 1/4 turn will take care of the problem usually. Else new packing for $ .99 and 10 min to repair.

The fact that you see 99% you see is that 1) they just do not care, 2) they just don't know what to do to adjust/repair.

Like a 1967 XKE Jag needed constant maintenance/repair to keep it on the road it was a part of car ownership. As is home ownership which requires maintenance and repair, just part of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Gene,

Rick
    are you sure you really want to know?
    some questions are best left unanswered ;~))

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good