Lynn Shumpert Guest

Default ICC Fire Proofing Test

I took a home study fire proofing course and was provided both numerous questions and the drawings so i would be familiar with the material so i could pass the test. I studied the material and had all of it down pretty good, including the plans part and so i scheduled and took the exam last week and got at 72, of course 75 is passing. I was suprised !

I recall three questions that could not find answers to even after i went back and reviewed all of the material. If anybody has the answers and ideas of how best to study for the test i would appreciate it. The three questions were something like this:

1. The contractor has a pallet of fire proofing on site but one bag is not labeled, what do you do ? Answers ??? reject it or use it or have the contractor verify it is the right stuff?
    2. The question referred to plans. It then referred to the fire proofing schedule, however the answer was not available on the chart ?
    3. The question had to do with the fireproofing gauge.It asked what gauge is not allowed. I thought there was only one? Please advise !!!!!!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: ICC Fire Proofing Test

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Shumpert View Post
    I took a home study fire proofing course and was provided both numerous questions and the drawings so i would be familiar with the material so i could pass the test.
    ICC study course and practice questions or from someone else not part of ICC?

I recall three questions that could not find answers to even after i went back and reviewed all of the material. If anybody has the answers and ideas of how best to study for the test i would appreciate it. The three questions were something like this:

1. The contractor has a pallet of fire proofing on site but one bag is not labeled, what do you do ? Answers ??? reject it or use it or have the contractor verify it is the right stuff?
    It's "fireproofing", if you were making a very large cake and had a pallet of flour with one bag not labeled, what would you do?
    - a) Mix the unlabeled bag into the mix and hope it was flour?
    - b) Set the unlabeled bag aside and not use it, or, if it accidentally got mixed in would you throw the entire batch out?
    - c) Ask someone to taste the unlabeled bag and attest to the fact that it is okay?

2. The question referred to plans. It then referred to the fire proofing schedule, however the answer was not available on the chart ?
    I have no idea without more information, but it is possible that the information you needed was there, but you just were not able to find it.

3. The question had to do with the fireproofing gauge. It asked what gauge is not allowed. I thought there was only one?
    Without additional information, that question could be asking one of two things:
    - 1) How thick the fireproofing is required to be for a specific hour rating, and the hour rating would be dependent on what was being protected and where it was located (what level of protection was required).
    - 2) What type of gauge would be used/would not be allowed to be used to measure the thickness/weight/etc of the fireproofing (once applied, typically the thickness is measured with a thickness measuring depth gauge. Another measurement gauge may be measuring pounds per cubic foot of applied material interpolated to the thickness of the applied material (i.e., 1 square foot with an applied thickness of 3 inches would be 1/4 cubic foot per square foot of surface area, which should weigh x pounds per cubic foot).

Really not enough information to know what was being asked.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com