Default Odd furnace vent

11 year old high efficiency furnace. Intake and exhaust vented out the roof. Furnace is in the basement. The black wrapping on the exhaust vent is insulation. Anyone want to shed some light on this for me?

I figured the installer wanted to get the exhaust above the second roof for for proper venting, but I'm not sure why they insulated it or brought the intake up so far.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Default Re: Odd furnace vent

I suspect that installation falls outside the manufactures specs.
    Its also unsightly.

Definitely unsightly but I don't see anything "outside the manufacturer's specs". I just can't wrap my head around wtf the installer was thinking.

I could, however, see a local AHJ telling the installer that the original installation was too short and needed to be extended above the 2nd roof line and the exhaust vent needed protection from freezing so this is what they came up with.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Binford Tools Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Definitely unsightly but I don't see anything "outside the manufacturer's specs". I just can't wrap my head around wtf the installer was thinking.

I could, however, see a local AHJ telling the installer that the original installation was too short and needed to be extended above the 2nd roof line and the exhaust vent needed protection from freezing so this is what they came up with.
    Plus whats the deal with the Ell? I could see using a Tee, as just an open on top can allow a leaf to drop in.

You might be right about the AHJ, but what were they thinking

This one is not above the second story.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Binford Tools; 07-02-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Looks like the installer was concerned about condensation in the exhaust freezing up and possibly restricting or worse the flow of exhaust when very cold. So he wrapped the tube to prevent that........but just a guess.

I have seen long icicles on occasion hanging from the exhaust tube.

In any event, it appears to be an unusual installation.

Binford Tools Guest

I know your right about the freeze up. With an exhaust that long in the outside air would build up ice with each run cycle.