Default Goodman A/C Fused

I don't recall ever seeing an A/C data plate specify only a fuse for over current protection as in the photo of this newer Goodman gas/electric package, roof mount unit. Typically they'll state Max. Fuse or Circuit Breaker sizes or Min. and Max fuse OR circuit breaker sizes.

I tried calling the Goodman factory but couldn't get past the gatekeeper because I am not a "Goodman authorized repair person". I tried calling local Goodman dealers and was told to contact an electrical contractor (as if the Goodman installers do not know this information?!). The electricians I was referred to obviously blew smoke.

Electrical circuit breakers are designed to trip on a different failure curve than fuses and so if the data plate does not specify the use of a breaker then it is my rationale that ONLY a fuse be used in the line. However, this creates a problem in that in order to obtain power from the Service Panel, on this home at least, a breaker must be installed to feed the unit. Then logic dictates that if the breaker were larger than 60A, to be larger than the fuse, a 60A fuse would do just fine in the line.

I am told the guy who rehabbed this house and installed the new A/C is a HVAC contractor. I know what he would have to say!

I would love to be able to talk to an engineer or designer from any A/C mfg., about this type of thing in order to get the low down "from the horses mouth".

Comments? Ideas?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

Default Re: Goodman A/C Fused

Bob, I see where it states:

" Approved for HACR breaker"

and

"Breaker must be HACR type"

Garry Blankenship Guest

There are different types of fuses just as there are circuit breakers. Dual element fuses are typically used for motor loads. They are designed to take the short term starting load similar to the HACR circuit breakers. With a 42 amp load a non-motor rated 60 amp fuse would probably blow. With a motor rated fuse you can dial the fuse size rating into the running current a lot tighter. The labeling should make mention of the correct type of fuse IMHO.

Dom, I didn't notice the tag under the first line of the foreign language. As soon as I hit the other language I quit reading. Had to get off that 110 degree roof! Thanks.

None-the-less, any ideas how one can get hold of a factory engineer to answer questions about their products. That would be handy in the future.

Interesting point Gary. Again, it'd be nice to be able to ask an engineer or designer.

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook