Default Armstrong Furnace Age & Damage

Model GUJ100D12-1B

S/N 8495G17535

House was built in 1973 but the furnace is not original. This furnace has an induction fan.

My guess is it was manufactured in 1995 (8495G17535). Can anyone confirm or refute this?

This furnace has some serious problems. The flames are not completely directed into the ports. The rings around a couple of ports are damaged and the metal between the ports is cracked. I could not see the heat exchanger. Would this damage be repairable or is the furnace toast?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Default Re: Armstrong Furnace Age & Damage

Bruce, I think all that dust caked up on the burner tubes is causing improper flame pattern directing the flame at the burnt area and has caused the exterior housing to crack. This can only be furtger setermined by a licensed HVAC and proper exchager testing. Unit has not been serviced for sure

Bruce,

I'm with you on the Date of Manufacturer of 95.

Based on replacement parts. Control circuit board and Smart Valve Igniter

No luck on LENNOX, Allied Air or Armstrong Serial# data base on furances

It"s appears to be end of service life..

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Bruce,

The trouble I see is no one wants to do repairs anymore. Its either new install or out the door the HVAC company goes.

No money in repairs they claim.

Yeah, Wayne. This was one of the dirtier furnaces I have seen but I don't think the dirtiness is causing the jetting problems. The problem appears to be the top and bottom metal pieces forming the jets has separated along the inside allowing flames to spread all along the seam instead of only at the jets. (You can see the separation in the first pic [below] just below the bright spot [where a port ring is being burned away].) Unless the thick layer of dust is causing the jet housing to overheat I don't think the two are related.

So can the exterior housing be replaced? Would it be expected that the cracks extend to the heat exchanger?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Bruce,

Nice pics.

So they don't sell air filters in Colorado looks like. Thats one of the worse I've seen.

Cracks = Toast.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

David Banks Guest

I ran into same thing 2 years ago. That week I ran into HVAC man who said it was a big problem and was basically a crack in the heat exchanger. I went back to clients house in the spring to check some exterior GFI receptacles for him due to 3 feet of snow at time of inspection. I asked him about the furnace and he said his HVAC guy said it was not a problem. (Go figure) I told him my concern and he said he was going to have them replaced anyway.
    On side note he also showed me a severly rotted deck.(snow covered)
    Always note in report what could not be seen and not inspected.