Thread: UBC vs IRC

Default UBC vs IRC

Prior to the inception of the IRC in 2000, is it likely that jurisdictions used the UBC prior to 2000? I'm trying to track down code requirements for Howard County Maryland with regard to window sill height relative to egress requirements.

I did find the following document but I'm not totally sure the jurisdiction followed the UBC in 1982.

The issue is a room in a basement being called a bedroom with a 54" high window sill (built in 1982).

http://www.dli.mn.gov/ccld/PDF/sbc_EgressDates.pdf

Inspection Referral

Default Re: UBC vs IRC

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Prior to the inception of the IRC in 2000, is it likely that jurisdictions used the UBC prior to 2000? I'm trying to track down code requirements for Howard County Maryland with regard to window sill height relative to egress requirements.

I did find the following document but I'm not totally sure the jurisdiction followed the UBC in 1982.

The issue is a room in a basement being called a bedroom with a 54" high window sill (built in 1982).

http://www.dli.mn.gov/ccld/PDF/sbc_EgressDates.pdf
    John, does it really matter what the code was? I don't know what MD requires in reports but the EEO requirements make the height a safety hazard in a sleeping area. I report that as an "Advisory". Can't make'm fix it but your client should know what and why it is and they can make"future improvements".

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    John, does it really matter what the code was? I don't know what MD requires in reports but the EEO requirements make the height a safety hazard in a sleeping area. I report that as an "Advisory". Can't make'm fix it but your client should know what and why it is and they can make"future improvements".
    I agree the code is not all important when there is common sense to apply. I always base recommendations on common sense and I did that in this case.

With that in mind, it's always nice to solidify your position with an applicable code reference, wouldn't you say?

I agree the code is not all important when there is common sense to apply. I always base recommendations on common sense and I did that in this case.

With that in mind, it's always nice to solidify your position with an applicable code reference, wouldn't you say?
    Only when I KNOW when the building permit was issued.and only if I have access to the codes in question. But otherwise no.

I don't feel it necessary to back up my position with a code reference. I made my evaluation and stated it, wrote it, and signed the report. If someone wants a code to back it up, then I'll tell them to find it. When stated in terms of safety and fire hazards, I've never had recommendations challenged by anyone wanting a code reference. That includes some pretty tough old bird real estate agents. When it makes sense to my client, then who in their right mind would challenge that other than a seller or listing agent and if they do they are putting themselves into a hole and starting to cover it up.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Well Stuart, it seems like you and I basically agree.

Well Stuart, it seems like you and I basically agree.
    Dang it!

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    I've never had recommendations challenged by anyone wanting a code reference.
    I have. Several times and then I have to scramble to find it. I agree with JD. I like to make sure that I know what I'm talking about and have my little duckies in a row before I make a recommendation.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/