Default Others markings for Tempered glass

Are there any other markings or acronyms used to indicate that a pane of glass has been tempered ?

The picture is of a window next to a jacuzzi tub.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Others markings for Tempered glass

Looks like Low E glass to me.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Jerry Peck; 07-09-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: rotated photo for better reading
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Contact Cardinal Glass Products and ask them what this particular stamp (etching) signifies.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

"Cardinal Glass Industries is mnagement-owned S-Corporation leading the industry in the development of residential glass for windows and doors. We have grown to more thn 5,500 employees located at 27 manufacturing locations around the United States"...

"We provide a turnkey solution to window manufacturers: whether it starts with insulating glass, coated, laminated, tempered or just plain float glass, it is all designed to provide the latest in applied glass science."

Company structure

Cardinal Glass Industries is a corportion with these wholly-owned subsidiaries:

Cardinal (R) IG - Cardinal IG Compny (insulating glass)
    Cardinal (R) CG - Cardinal IG Compny (coated glass and optical mirrors)
    Cardinal (R) LG - Cardinal LG Company (laminated glass)
    Cardinal (R) FG - Cardinal FG Company (float and tempered glass)
    Cardinal (R) ST - Cardinal ST Company (solar technologies)
    Cardinal (R) AG - Cardinal AG Company (automation equipment)

I would source the actual window manufacturer - as Cardinal supplies to spec multiple manufacturers for residential fenestration.

It appears the particular is marked as having been produced by the Insulated Glass Division, and that it is further E2. It may or may not be safety or wind force as a unit. Fully tempered is only one form of safety glass.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-10-2012 at 11:53 AM.

If it doesn't say tempered then I'm not going to guess. I write that I was unable to verify it's presence. As for calling the manufacturer - I'll let the client pursue that.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I agree that if it does not state "Tempered", as far as my inspection is concerned, it is not tempered (although it could be).

If I felt contacting a manufacturer would be helpful, in many (if not most) cases, I would have no problem making that call.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

An insulated glass unit can employ tempered glass, laminated glass, or even plain float glass, with or without lo-E coatings or films.

Examples IG units made from laminated glass for sound attenuation - (near highways, airports, etc.) and IG units made from laminated glass for hurricane/high wind resistance.

Tempered glass isn't the only form of safety glass. Just because glass may have been heat tempered doesn't mean it is safety glass (it may just be simply stronger (more resistant to breakage) than anealed glass, but still not meet the requirements for tempered type "safety glass").

The window or door manufacturer specifies the glass/glass units manufacturered for them by Cardinal.

Contact the manufacturer of the fenestration unit itself. If appears replacement look for additional markings and/or permit history, loss history reports, inquire of HO, to find specific information necessary to trace/track.

Look for additional logoing referencing in another corner or sash such as "SGCC" as Cardinal uses the Safety Glazing Certification Council for independant certification of their safety glazing panels.

The IGCC & IGMA logoing (and the CBA rating) are references to IG performance standards.

Manufactured first quarter 2002, in CIG plant 4.

Markings and logoing changes in effect subsequent to the IG unit manufacture date.

Perhaps the attached might help as you endeavor.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-10-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Tempered glass often has a wavy appearance. This is not a definite way to tell but just an FYI.

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ernst
    Tempered glass often has a wavy appearance. This is not a definite way to tell but just an FYI.
    Meaningless and offers absolutely no indication.

Heat Tempered (strengthing) does not equate to fully tempered ("safety" only if passing tests/bearing certifications to same).

Anealed (also strengthing via heating and cooling).

Coatings - spot or film/laminations can also distort clarity

Heck even float glass can have imperfections including "wavyness".

Distortions, "waviness" roller direction distortion, clarity, is NO indication of the strength, impact resistance, etc. of fenestration.