Tim Sharp Guest

Default Brown Recluse infestation

My barber told me that his daughter was having a REO home inspected and was told that it was infested with Brown Recluse spiders. He said the inspector set out glue pads by the floor HVAC registers and trapped 14 spiders durning the inspection. At that point the inspector stuck a remote camera in the duct work and said it looked like a horror story.

The bank took the home off the market and said it would take a year to clear out the infestation. Has anyone heard of such a time frame required to eradicate pest problem like this?*

Tim Sharp, Sharp Inspections

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Brown Recluse infestation

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Sounds a little odd to me. Do any of you guys carry glue traps and duct cameras?
    A year? How about a few days tenting and fuming.

END GLOBAL WHINING

Hi Tim -

Thanks for not posting any photos.

There is no gun "too big" for killing a spider.

Nuke 'em till they glow.

CaoimhÃ*n

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Sounds a little odd to me. Do any of you guys carry glue traps and duct cameras?
    A year? How about a few days tenting and fuming.
    I know of several pest control contractors who do this. My guess is that this is what the OP was trying to post about. I do have a See Snake camera that I can poke in a duct, wall or up/in any orifice it will fit.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ditto on the camera. I carry a Borescope with me on all inspections.
    As for the spider eradication, I'd call my pest control contractor and seek his input. Having said that, a year sounds like a looooooooooooooong time to eradicate the spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wilson View Post
    a year sounds like a looooooooooooooong time to eradicate the spiders.
    A match, some gasoline, and about 30 minutes should have every one of those crawly things fried to a crisp.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Sorry, I didn't read the post carefully. The information is from his barber, it has to be accurate!

END GLOBAL WHINING

Scott Kight, ACE Guest

Finally, something a bug guy can comment on . . . there is no way it should take that long to clear out a spider problem. Someone mentioned fumigating. That would clear the home by the time the tents are removed. not what I would recommend, but would certainly do the trick. Spiders are hard to prevent, but are easily killed if directly treated. It might require removing those ducts that were infested tho.

In another life I was an entomologist. A professional exterminator should be able to knock down any kind of spider infestation in a day. And no, I never ever carry sticky traps with me. If that story is correct, those were some seriously active brown recluses. Everyone that I have ever seen, was sitting passively waiting for some food source to come walking by.

Over the years, I have heard some stories that just don't make sense. In every case, when I have investigated, I have found that the story was not accurately communicated. Considering the unassailable reputation every barber has, I guess that he received incorrect facts about the actual events.

Although we don't have BR native to NC I have friends all over the world in our association and it does not take a year to control/eradicate a BR infestation. 30 days of residual insectide will do it. And yes the duct work may have to be replaced as most chemicals are not labeled for treating inside ductwork.