Annette Waymer Guest

Question Are 2 sheds allowable on one property?

I live in an unincorporated area of Los Angeles County and have an old, wooden shed (10x8 feet) along the back fence of my yard. I was thinking of tearing it down and replacing it with a shed more than twice the size (10 x 18), putting in a divider wall so I could use half the shed for an outdoor office and the other half for storage. However, I have since learned that sheds over 10 x 12 need permits so am now thinking of getting a 2nd shed (10x12 Tuff Shed) and customizing that as outdoor office space and keeping the old 8x10 shed for storage. Can I do this? I can't find any info on the county website but the guy at Home Depot seems to think it's ok. However, I would hate to buy a shed, invest money customizing it and later be told to remove it. Not to mention find out there is also an issue keeping the old shed, which I can't afford to lose the storage space.

The existing shed has 3 walls that are at least 3 feet away from property lines and my house sits a good 18 feet away from the shed. However, its back wall butts up to the back fence. Maybe it is grandfathered in since it was here a good 30+ years? Not sure but if I get a 2nd shed I would want to place it so the 2 sheds are side by side, which means its back wall will also be inches from the back fence. (I don't want a shed in the middle of the yard and I want to put matching siding on both so I don't have to hide behind lattice, as is the case now.) Currently, neighbors are not able to see much except the top of the roof of the shed now. One neighbor catty-corner in the back has a very big garage/shed that looms over (as my property is on slope beneath theirs) and I think it actually has a wall that is right up on the other neighbor's property line. The neighbor directly behind has a patio cover or overhang just on the other side of the fence. So, I can't imagine a 2nd shed would change much for them but wonder if I had any problem how difficult it would be to get a set back variance?