Kenneth Koehn Guest

Default Double taped from meter

Today's inspection. This is a 1976 home. 200amp service to the meter. The meter is just on the other side of the wall. Can some sparky tell me about this?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Double taped from meter

No means of disconnect for second service panel or whatever the addition wires are feeding. Possible future arcing due to loosening from expansion/ contraction.

James Bohac

If there is only one panel, I suspect someone decided to run parallel conductors to increase the amperage when upgrading the service. If there are multiple panels being fed by double-tapping the lugs, I'm betting someone was too cheap to buy the breaker to feed the other panel.

I thought two wires underneath one lug was a no, no, perhaps Jerry Peck
    would comment of this picture.

Last edited by Robert Mattison; 07-21-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mattison View Post
    I thought two wires underneath one lug was a no, no, perhaps Jerry Peck would comment of this picture.
    In general it depends on whether the lug is listed for two conductors, the purpose of the lug, and also how the second conductor is being used. For example, a bus bar may be listed to allow for two conductors under each set screw. It would be permissible to place two grounding conductors under one screw whereas it would be impermissible to place two grounded (neutral) conductors under a single set screw.

Robert,

In most all cases, two conductors at one terminal is incorrect. However, as has been stated above, if - and only if - if the terminals are identified (marked with the conductor quantity and sizes), then two conductors would be allowed.

There is a label on the side of terminal holder, but I can't read it. It looks to state the sizes, but I can't make it out enough tell for sure, but I don't see where it looks like it is rated for 2 conductors.

There are also other problems, as mentioned in some of the posts above, but not enough information is given to address those other potential problems.

It is safe to say that there are two conductors in one terminal and that is not allowed unless identified for that use ... but it would make a better report item to be able to continue and state ... and the label states that terminal is rated for one #4 to 2/0 (or whatever that label says).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thumbs up Re: Double taped from meter

Many thanks to J.P. for the information. I will save your Post.

C.W. I also want to thank you for your reply.