Thread: Web Site Review

Tyrone Wessel Guest

Default Web Site Review

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if you would be willing to take a look at my web site and offer any suggestions or critiques? I have seen on these forums where you are incredibly helpful in this area. The address is:
    Home To You Inspections, LLC

Thank you so much in advance for any help!!!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Web Site Review

Nicely laid out, clean and not overly burdened with useless fluff.

My comment would be to move 'Your home inspector' up one level under 'Home' and if possible put a picture of yourself where you talk about licencing and education.

I would also make your name stand out amongst the other text by making it bold.

More spacing between paragraphs under 'Home'.

Under your left pane I would be inclined to also put your email address under your telephone number.

My 2 cents.

Good luck.

Maybe it's just me but if you wrote the text, you should make it more personal, "I am educated and intelligent", rather than "Tyrone is a genius blah blah".
    A lot of websites say "all our inspectors are superior" when you know it's just a one man show. Keep it simple and real, IMO.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Your meta tag list is short and you have a couple alt errors.

Your service area should be listed on your main page. I had no idea where you were until I went to another page.

"Home Inspection" wasn't mentioned until the thirteenth line. Buried in paragraph 3. If I found your site by chance I would have no idea you performed home inspections.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

One thing I don't like about websites is one must sometimes guess where the biz is located.

I have put the Cdn flag on my site, to indicate my location as as well as were I am located in the text. I am also going to put the provincial flag on my site too.

I also note many inspectors do not even bothering putting their name on their site!
    If I were a client looking for a home inspector I want to know who the inspector is. After all many inspection companies are one man.

Would you hand out a biz card without your name on it?

Something to think about.

" combustion product disposal system ". Cute. Remove the redundant copy about what you are inspecting in each of the paragraphs. Just make a heading that these are the items we inspect. Make it clear whether your pool inspection is included or separate with an additional fee. Tell the reader who you are. It would also be nice to tell them about your experience.

It looks like hundreds of other home inspector websites and has similar verbiage like thousands of other home inspector websites

I'm also not sure if you are a home inspector or a Realtor! Get rid of the NAR logo at the bottom of the pages

I had to search for a phone number and then I had to go to another page to find out what is your service area. Make your phone number BIG!! Tell folks to call you!

I would not tell folks that it will cost extra if you are out of my service area. Just build it into the quote when you give them a price. That brings up another issue and that is posting of your fees (too low) on your website. If you post your fees then folks do not need to call and you can not talk to them..... Take the fees off and raise your rates...

Why offer a special on 3 days? It's not like we are selling a commodity that goes out of date and we need to get it our store! You do not need to offer a discount on anything, your fees are already low enough...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

For my taste, the site looks too "plain jane" and generic. Totally a "template" that looks like you got it from the dollar store and threw in a little copy.

It's not really clear what services you offer, where you are located and what area you service. Where is the phone number and "Call-To-Action"?

I totally understand if you are not a skilled copywriter, not many are. Spend a few dollars and hire one to put some punch into the copy or learn the skill.

There are many things missing for good SEO. No one will find you. Your meta tags should have your service area listed, the same information should be in the text copy of the body early on.

As the saying goes "You only have one chance to make a first impression." The impression I get is not great based on what I see. Buying a home is a very "emotional" experience for most. Hit some buttons here. Point out that spending money on a GOOD home inspection often ends up being effectively FREE due to the savings you will achieve by getting things fixed or avoiding buying a real dog of a house in the first place.
    Good Luck

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

cuba_pete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Wessel View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if you would be willing to take a look at my web site and offer any suggestions or critiques? I have seen on these forums where you are incredibly helpful in this area. The address is:
    Home To You Inspections, LLC

Thank you so much in advance for any help!!!
    Your images look ragged. You may want to get the originals and try either higher quality compression or change the way you resize. Also, I noticed you specified the image dimensions in your source. If you choose the proper size for the image beforehand and let it load without interpretration it is usually cleaner. Never let the browser resize your images...it takes too long and makes them look not as intended.

I like the link from your certificate to the InterNACHI site...but maybe a label telling the customer that the site they will be taken to is official and not just another one of your pages (with "fake" credentials). I know it's real, but they may not.

You may want to edit out the portions of the mapquest or google earth image you used for your service area. Their images are copyrighted. However, you can link or link-back to a mapquest image/page using the information they provide on their site. Again, it loads slowly. This may be a bandwidth issue by your provider.

The site appears hand-coded. If you are not a web designer or programmer then I applaud your efforts! If you want critical advice you could submit it to Web Pages That Suck - learn good web design by looking at bad web design - Home Page. There is pretty good info on web design there.

Last edited by cuba_pete; 07-16-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added link

Tyrone Wessel Guest

Thank you everyone for your objective eyes. It looks like I have my work cut out for me I did work off of a template to make my job easier as I have built a web site from scratch before and as a novice that took me forever. I was hoping that going off of a template would save me some time while I could still work in the code that I know. Thank you again, I will definitely have to do more research about SEO, tags and all of that. Your advice is greatly appreciated! Off to work!

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

And remove any actual prices from the site. Once people see prices, they have no reason to call you which means you get no opportunity to sell yourself.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

A few quick tips to get you started:

1. Home page doesn't list a single city on it. You will never rank on Google without your top 3-5 cities listed multiple times on every page of your site.

2. I teach exactly what Nick said, do NOT include prices (unless you're the cheapest guy in town)

3. Add a picture of yourself to the home page

Start reading over all the SEO Articles I've written for all the association magazines.

Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software & Home Inspection Website Hosting
    Runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad. Import HomeGauge, 3D & InspectVue Narratives!

As far as pricing and listing same on website, I don't think it hinders people from calling, if anything it stops those that want cheap inspections. I don't lower my price - ever.

Having said that I still get people calling wanting me to lower my inspection fee by twenty five dollars because the first person they called is $25 cheaper.

And others call not having checked my website they are referred by someone else. They only go to my site after first calling and booking the inspection because I tell them to refer to my site for further info such as contract, or a sample of the report.

One has to make a business decision, based on how they conduct their inspection business and the competition.

What I do see are many websites by so called experts listing prices and discounts which are ridiculously low for a high risk business.

But this has only been my experience and I believe in full disclosure about my services.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Wessel View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if you would be willing to take a look at my web site and offer any suggestions or critiques?
    Great way to increase traffic to your website Tyrone

When you guys are all done, would you mind going over and looking at my page as well, I'm hoping the surge in traffic will help my SEO

Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections

Joe,

I would put your name under your home page, as well as the contact link.

Something along the lines of ... Joe Klampfer
    of Pacific Home Inspections has been providing professional, unbiased ....

I saw some very good criticism and advice regarding Tyrone's site. If any of you all are still in the mood then have at it!

Home Inspections in Chicago | Condo Inspections | Energy Audits | Moisture Intrusion Inspections | Chicago | Cook County, DuPage County | Domicile Consulting

Thanks!

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

Dan, I'm taking a quick break from programming so I don't have a lot of time. But here's a few quickies.

1. Your phone number is missing from the top of every page. This is a MUST HAVE.

2. You want your picture on the home page, or a picture of your team. Making yourself look large works for commercial inspection sites but not for home inspections. Your clients are hiring you to do a very 'personal' job. You'll be telling them whether they're buying the place of their dreams, or a dump.

3. Your blogs must ALWAYS include the city your targeting.

4. Write your own blogs. Google is HEAVILY penalized plagiarism right now. What you have going on will cause your site to start tanking soon. Looks like most of your blogs are articles taken from other sites (see https://www.google.com/search?q=%22F...hrome&ie=UTF-8 which shows your energy article on 4000+ other sites)

5. Add video testimonials. Text is nice, video is much better.

Good luck!

Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software & Home Inspection Website Hosting
    Runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad. Import HomeGauge, 3D & InspectVue Narratives!

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Maricic View Post
    Dan, I'm taking a quick break from programming so I don't have a lot of time. But here's a few quickies.

1. Your phone number is missing from the top of every page. This is a MUST HAVE.

2. You want your picture on the home page, or a picture of your team. Making yourself look large works for commercial inspection sites but not for home inspections. Your clients are hiring you to do a very 'personal' job. You'll be telling them whether they're buying the place of their dreams, or a dump.

3. Your blogs must ALWAYS include the city your targeting.

4. Write your own blogs. Google is HEAVILY penalized plagiarism right now. What you have going on will cause your site to start tanking soon. Looks like most of your blogs are articles taken from other sites (see https://www.google.com/search?q=%22F...hrome&ie=UTF-8 which shows your energy article on 4000+ other sites)

5. Add video testimonials. Text is nice, video is much better.

Good luck!
    Thanks Dom! A photo of our team comes up after a few seconds on the home page. It is one of the photos that rotate through. I plan on writing blog posts...my biggest problem with that is keeping the posts from devolving into gripes about the re-litters! Much obliged for the great critique!!

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

Make it a point to attend one of Dominick's SEO seminars next time he is in your area. You will learn a lot!