weili jiang Guest

Default Veneer wall repair help

I am buying a house built in 1998 and need help with the brick veneer wall.The exterior wall on the left of the master room windows were pulling away fromstructure. Gaps were observed above and around the window, and a crack under thewindows. The house has been inspected; it does not appear to be foundation and structuralissues.

As you see from the picture, the flashing does not sit on a foundationand the left side of it is moving down and lower than right side.

I need help on how to repair the brick wall, how to add more support to theflashing on left side.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Veneer wall repair help

Quote Originally Posted by weili jiang View Post
    I am buying a house built in 1998 and need help with the brick veneer wall.The exterior wall on the left of the master room windows were pulling away fromstructure. Gaps were observed above and around the window, and a crack under thewindows. The house has been inspected; it does not appear to be foundation and structuralissues.

As you see from the picture, the flashing does not sit on a foundationand the left side of it is moving down and lower than right side.

I need help on how to repair the brick wall, how to add more support to theflashing on left side.

Thanks.
    Mr. Jiang,

You say you have had a Home Inspector inspect this property?

This link Applications of Remedial Helicial Wall Ties Masonry Products would be instructional for this condition.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Is this a Thin Brick veneer? Or a Full Brick veneer? Is thata steel Lintel Plate supporting the veneer or just a drip edge or screed? Howis it connected? I would hope that since the veneer is on a cantilevered wall it is a thin veneer. We can’t see into the cracks, sometimes you can see in behind where the veneer separates from the wall. There is no telling what product was used to back this veneer or how it was attached. I would be very careful when you investigate this, the wall looks like it is bulging out in the bottom third of the veneer. This is common on older houses where the Masonry Ties were attached with common framing nails or not enough ties were used. Or the ties could have pulled out of the mortar joints. Depending on what product this is and securement method you may need to remove the veneer and reset it. This could also indicatethe wall is moving.

Last edited by Gene Grigg; 07-15-2012 at 07:56 PM.

I suspect it would be cheaper to replace the brick with Hardi-plank or some other siding than it will be to repair it. But you should get some repair estimates from local contractors.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

weili jiang Guest

Gene,

The plate is supporting the veneer. The veneer wall is thin brick but I am not sure. Do you a good contractor or a company in Atlanta area?

Thank you,

weili jiang Guest

Billy,
    Do you know if the company has services in Atlanta area?

Thanks

Any reputable mason will know how to install heli-ties.

But the condition of the wall sheathing behind the bricks is in question. Normal brick ties don't fail in 14 years. There may be water damage. There is more wrong there than what meets the eye.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

weili jiang Guest

If the condition behind the wall is good, the wall can be repaired with heli-ties without removing the brick?

Quote Originally Posted by weili jiang View Post
    Billy,
    Do you know if the company has services in Atlanta area?

Thanks
    The Linked is a UK Company .

I'm sure Similar Types of Repair are avaiable in your area.

Best Wishes,

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

You are kidding right? This is some sort of joke to see who will give you the simplest answer?
    You have a wall sitting on top of a ledge that is disbonding and pulling out from the substrate behind it. Don't want to spend much money, fine. Don't spend any and wait for it to collapse.
    This is NOT an easy repair or quick job. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a Moron. This is most likely a life threatening and hazardous condition. Sure it could just be a few bad bricks; sure it could just be any easy repair but unlikely.
    - The big questions are why is the brick disbonding from the wall; is it due to poor attachment, is it due to beam movement, or is it due to beam failure?
    - If beam movement, why? Was the beam not installed well, are bolts rusted, are bolts pulling out from joists, is the rim joist pulling away from the floor joists therefore the beam is moving, etc, etc.
    - If beam failure, why? undersized, water seepage that rusted out the flange, undersized, etc,
    If you want a safe house at least some brick will need to be removed to properly assess conditions. Drywall behind this area in the 1st and 2nd floors will also have to be removed to see what's going on.
    Good luck. To do it right will cost real money. Hire a contractor to open it up and then a structural engineer to assess it.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

weili jiang Guest

Wow, how many money it will spend to repair the wall for the worst case? 10k-20k?

Thanks

weili jiang Guest

I am waiting more knowledges, suggetions and ideas.

Thanks