Default What type of AC system?

These AC compressors were located in a basement mechanical room. House was a little over 7000 sq ft. The brand is Maneurop Inc. They have incoming and out going water lines. At first I thought it was a geothemal system. House has standard gas furnaces installed. I think that these are considered water cooled units. Not sure on how to describe the system.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: What type of AC system?

These are hermetic or reciprocating type condensing units. Very odd to find these in a house.
    These are typically installed in commercial applications for cooling specific areas or needs. Say a walk in freezer for a restaurant, zone application in a warehouse, etc. They tend to be pretty reliable and easy to work on or switch out. They can also be a bit loud though.
    Seeing these installed in a house is very suspicious. Either the guy was a dangerous Joe DIY or some commercial industry guy looking to save money somehow.
    I'd advise the client to have the system assessed by an HVAC guy, check electrical install very carefully, explain that not every regular hvac guy will be able to service this stuff, and the potential noise level. If installed properly it should work well but I'm wary.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

It's called GeoSource... uses well or city water to cool the condensor, more effecient and saves on electric...with a reversing valve it's a heat pump and can warm the house, very good in cold climates.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    These are hermetic or reciprocating type condensing units. Very odd to find these in a house.
    These are typically installed in commercial applications for cooling specific areas or needs. Say a walk in freezer for a restaurant, zone application in a warehouse, etc. They tend to be pretty reliable and easy to work on or switch out. They can also be a bit loud though.
    Seeing these installed in a house is very suspicious. Either the guy was a dangerous Joe DIY or some commercial industry guy looking to save money somehow.
    I'd advise the client to have the system assessed by an HVAC guy, check electrical install very carefully, explain that not every regular hvac guy will be able to service this stuff, and the potential noise level. If installed properly it should work well but I'm wary.
    Yes I agree. They are hermetic or reciprocating type condensing units, not Geothermal units. They're located in a basement mechannical room will a louvered door, and yes they are quite noisy. You can hear them at the main floor when operating.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    They have incoming and out going water lines. At first I thought it was a geothemal system.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    These are hermetic or reciprocating type condensing units.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lyons View Post
    It's called GeoSource... uses well or city water to cool the condensor, more effecient and saves on electric...with a reversing valve it's a heat pump and can warm the house, very good in cold climates.
    Correct.

Yes I agree. They are hermetic or reciprocating type condensing units, not Geothermal units.
    Correct on the first part, incorrect on the last part.

They are hermetic compressors operating as intended with a heat exchanger which is either geothermal or cooling tower, however, because these are in a residence a cooling tower is not likely, to the heat exchanges through water and the water exchanges the heat to earth - i.e., geothermal.

The water in these water-to-air units transfers the heat to the earth, which serves as the condenser coil of air-to-air units.

That is precisely the way a/c units work on cooling towers: the heat is removed from inside and put into the water, which takes the heat out to the earth loop - during summer; during winter - the heat of the earth is brought to the unit by the water.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

So help me out here Jerry, the thermostat controls for HVAC have one heat mode and one cool mode. Gas furances responded when heat is turned on when outside temp is near 100 degrees, the compressors did not start up for heating. This is the primary reason that I think it's not a Geothermal set up. What do you think?

Gas furances responded when heat is turned on when outside temp is near 100 degrees, the compressors did not start up for heating. This is the primary reason that I think it's not a Geothermal set up. What do you think?
    Many geo thermal are single mode, if gas if available. I didn't see a reversing valve in the photos, so appear to be single mode, either heat only or ac only. Either way I'd recommend an HVAC tech (prob. commercial/industrial) to check the system and determine it's setup.

So help me out here Jerry, the thermostat controls for HVAC have one heat mode and one cool mode. Gas furances responded when heat is turned on when outside temp is near 100 degrees, the compressors did not start up for heating. This is the primary reason that I think it's not a Geothermal set up. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lyons View Post
    Many geo thermal are single mode, if gas if available.
    If there is a gas or other back-up heat supply, that may be cool geothermal only, or it could be heat geothermal only too.

I can't tell enough from the photos to know, and is there a back-up heat source?

Any good a/c technician/service person should be able to check that out and tell you and your client how it is operating, no need to get a commercial a/c person out there. If there is a supply house in your area which handles geothermal heat pumps, they probably have a few service people names they could share with you.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com