Brian Harwood Guest

Default Exposed Wiring In Pantry On A New Circuit

Recent inspection where gas range was replaced with electric. Wiring was run in the wall heading toward the main panel. Small detour in the pantry where the wiring ran up the wall behind ventilated shelving to the attic and then to the panel. Should this not be run in plastic conduit at a minimum to prevent damage and possible electrical shock?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Exposed Wiring In Pantry On A New Circuit

The cable insulation already provides a means to protect against electrical shock. Type NM cable is also allowed to closely follow the building surface. IMO I would not consider that cable subject to damage and no additional protection would be required.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Sorry, Jim, I am not an electrician, but I believe that wiring is indeed exposed and subject to damage.
    All it would take is an ice skate shoved into the corner. ( I know it's Florida, but they skate in Florida. Or maybe it would be a machete.)

It is a flaky way to pull in new wire. A better way is to cut a small hole in the drywall top and bottom and fish the wire up inside the wall cavity. Doing this might have added 1/2 hour to the install job. Every competent electrician has fish tape and knows how to use it, but this guy didn't think it was necessary.

The other way is to install conduit, rigid or flexible.

In these pics, two outlets were installed in a closet, here we go agin.
    It is ugly but I made no comment about this.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by John Kogel; 07-17-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    The cable insulation already provides a means to protect against electrical shock.
    Correct.

Type NM cable is also allowed to closely follow the building surface.
    Correct.

IMO I would not consider that cable subject to damage and no additional protection would be required.
    I disagree to the point that when I installed a new receptacle outlet in the kitchen for the peninsula countertop, and I had to run the circuit down the inside of the laundry room closet similar to that photo, I used PVC to protect the NM cable from the ceiling down to where the NM cable when into the wall. I could see that, over time, the stored cans and stuff on those shelves might ... might ... eventually damage that cable.

Thus, while that is run to follow the surface as it is required to, I believe that is subject to physical damage too.

Just because it is run to follow the surface does not mean it is protected from physical damage, and, yes, I realize you are saying that you think it is not subject to physical damage.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That was based on the usage of the pantry as a food storage area. Had it been in an area where someone were actually doing something like machete practice my feelings would not have been to same.

I agree that someone took the quick way out. I too would have rather seen the cable fished into the cavity.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Brian,

When you see things like that, it pays to look closely at the complete installation. I bet that this circuit was not added by a skilled electrician, as they would have routed it directly up the wall into the attic.

Garry Blankenship Guest

Tell them to cover it w/ a bit of molding, ( crown molding ? ).

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    Tell them to cover it w/ a bit of molding, ( crown molding ? ).
    No, it is better to say conduit, so they know there is a live wire there. Wood trim could get screwed or nailed at some later date.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Brian Harwood Guest

Thanks to all for your responses... conduit or behind the wall install was recommended.