Thread: AC Outlet

R Carter Guest

Default AC Outlet

Under the wall AC unit in our new home, there's an odd outlet:

We'd like to install a new AC. Can I get an adapter for this or will I need an electrician to install a new outlet?

Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: AC Outlet

We can't answer that question from here. It may very well be a 240 volt receptacle specifically installed for an AC unit. 240 volts will destroy a 120 volt unit, so you need to have it tested to see what you have.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Garry Blankenship Guest

What John said. If you Google up a receptacle configuration chart, it will probably indicate that as a 15 amp - 240 volt receptacle w/ ground wire. Like John said you must also check it with a volt meter because you are not the only one that might confuse the voltage. It should be just fine for the new unit, as long as the voltage and amperage is compatible. If the new unit cord cap is not compatible, I recommend a pro. Easy enough to change either the receptacle or new unit cord cap, but again all must be compatible to do so.

Last edited by Garry Blankenship; 07-18-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typed cop ~ meant cord

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    What John said. If you Google up a receptacle configuration chart, it will probably indicate that as a 15 amp - 240 volt receptacle w/ ground wire.
    That is a NEMA 6-20 simplex receptacle (sometimes referred to as 6-15/20), which is used for 240V 15A or 20A cord and plug appliances. The previous owner likely had a 240V air conditioner that required this receptacle.