Jamie Neely Guest

Default Horizontal Crack cinder block wall

We are looking into buying a home in Tennessee. It has been inspected and and has a horizontal crack we were told the wall is not bowing. It stretches almost the length of the wall. He did suggest having an engineer look at it. Should we even proceed with an appraisal or walk away. I really do not want to lose anymore money, but love the little house. He also says water drainage is an issue with the grade of the soil. The home owner says this wall has been this way for 41 years when the house was built by the church for his mother. My worry is will this affect the appraisal for a Rural Home Loan? I was told it may or may not be structural?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Horizontal Crack cinder block wall

Pics?

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Neely View Post
    He did suggest having an engineer look at it.
    Even with photos, the end result is that we would recommend you have a structural engineer address that wall if it is a concern to you because we cannot tell from photos, and your inspector was there - we are not.

If the house is not worth putting enough more into it for the structural engineer ... I suspect you should walk away - but keep in mind that you will now need to pay for another inspection on your next house you want to buy ... and when you consider that, the structural engineer on this one is not so bad.

And if what the structural engineer tells you is bad enough for you to walk on this house, consider the structural engineer's fee as having saved you a bundle had you bought the house and been stuck with it.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Where exactly is the crack located?
    1. Above grade?
    2. Middle of wall below grade
    3. Bottom of wall?
    4. How wide is the crack?

Location and size are important factors for consideration.

Its a crap shoot. Engineer could assess and tell you to take a pass or he could tell ya its okay, or it needs repair.

Sometimes a disappointment is a blessing.

Jamie Neely Guest

Thank you for all the input. The crack is about an half an inch wide and is equal through out the span of about 24 feet. It is 2 cinder blocks below ground level. It does not seep any water. The water issues are in other areas. As far as an engineer I do not know where to even look for one in our area. I would like to get an engineer or foundation expert to look at it if that might be cheaper than going through an appraiser. I will try to post pictures today.. Thanks to you all. Personally I could live with it but believe the bank may not ..

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Neely View Post
    Thank you for all the input. The crack is about an half an inch wide and is equal through out the span of about 24 feet. It is 2 cinder blocks below ground level..... ..
    With the crack being that wide/high, I would expect to see some level of bowing.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Jamie Neely Guest

I know there is no bowing and we just looked at again and took a level with us. It is level all the way through. The owners said it happened when the house was built and I am beginning to believe them because structural wise it is not bowing in or out nor does it have any water coming through. The 1/2 is not even a quarter inch my guess measurement was way off. We have called an engineer in our area and are going to have him either certify the structure or tell us to walk away. I can not get the photo on here for some reason. All comments are welcome.
    Thank you

Last edited by Jamie Neely; 03-16-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: new info

Jamie Neely Guest

Thanks for all your input. Engineer came today and said it was good to go. Said the crack was not shifting and expects the home to be around 100 + years. All floors are level and there are no cracks in any walls and he wrote us an approval. My wording may not be the best , but at least now the bank cannot say it is structurally unsafe...
    Thanks Again

William Richardson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Even with photos, the end result is that we would recommend you have a structural engineer address that wall if it is a concern to you because we cannot tell from photos, and your inspector was there - we are not.

If the house is not worth putting enough more into it for the structural engineer ... I suspect you should walk away - but keep in mind that you will now need to pay for another inspection on your next house you want to buy ... and when you consider that, the structural engineer on this one is not so bad.

And if what the structural engineer tells you is bad enough for you to walk on this house, consider the structural engineer's fee as having saved you a bundle had you bought the house and been stuck with it.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
    GREAT ANSWER!!!!!!!!!