Default Inspecting for Another Inspector

Recently I had an out of state inspector call and ask for me to inspect a home he is buying in my area of operations. We agreed on a price, date, and time. Initially the inspector was not going to be able to attend. Well the initial deal fell through. He found a second home and we scheduled another inspection date. The buying inspector was able to attend this time.

Performed the inspection yesterday. The other inspector was very cordial and polite. We discussed several issues in detail and debated the finer points of several code references. At one point in the inspection, the buying inspector left me to continue the inspection unattended while he dealt with another service provider on site. There were both termite and septic inspections being performed during the same time as the home inspection.

Like any inspection, it often take a few minutes for the buyer to develop trust with the inspector. In this case, it was a bit awkward because I felt that I was truly being evaluated for my competency by someone who really knew if I was making things up or I actually knew what I was talking about. The buying inspector has published books and a monthly column regarding code and home inspection practices.

I guess it is not any different than offering a ride along to another inspector. But in this case, it was not a newbie with limited skills trying to decide whether to join the business. I had been hired to perform a service for a nationally recognized inspector.

Curious if you have inspected homes for other inspectors and what your experiences were like.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Default Re: Inspecting for Another Inspector

I havent inspected for another inspector. Over the past couple months I have done a few referral inspections from an inspector that had the same qualificiations.
    Next time you see him, tell him I said HI

Last edited by Dan Harris; 07-19-2012 at 07:23 AM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Yes, he was probably evaluating you, as he should. However, he should have also been using your knowledge of local peculiarities and conditions to his advantage. Just because someone publishes a book or is on a TV show doesn't mean they know more than you. It just means they decided to publish a book.

I think the other inspector recognized that purchasing a home is an emotional decision. When I purchased my current home, I did pretty much the same thing and would do it again. I find it difficult to remain detached when purchasing my own home.

This might be a good chance for you to develop a working relationship and/or friendship with this inspector. I have a few friends who are colleagues/competitors.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Did one a couple of months ago where the seller used to do inspections. When I was done the agent gathered everyone (seller, buyer, buyers wife, agent, her husband and myself) at the dining room table. Everything I brought up, sellers reply was: "He's right", "I didn't think of that" or "I'll fix it".

I did one for the son of a former inspector that used to be my competitor until he retired. I was kind of surprised that he didn't get his dad to do it, but I guess his dad really, really retired.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I did one for the son of a former inspector that used to be my competitor until he retired. I was kind of surprised that he didn't get his dad to do it, but I guess his dad really, really retired.
    And his dad probably referred you. That's pretty good.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I did one for an out-of-state inspector whose daughter was moving to the area. Nobody was present at the inspection but me so the on-site pressure was off but I still had to do the same job otherwise.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    I havent inspected for another inspector. Over the past couple months I have done a few referral inspections from an inspector that had the same qualificiations. Next time you see him, tell him I said HI
    Well he still is using his old email so I am sure you can send him your congratulations about his new home directly to him.

It was a a bit unnerving at first but once I settled into my routine it went much better. It was very enjoyable to be able to discuss the defects without having to explain all the basic details. I found that when reviewing my photos, I had not taken as many as usual because I had become so comfortable with the back and forth, I neglected to take pics of the defect.

I am still a little anixous to recieve his impressions of my inspection and report. Agents and buyers don't really know whether the inspector is any good until it is too late. A peer is able to spot your defects from across the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    This might be a good chance for you to develop a working relationship and/or friendship with this inspector. I have a few friends who are colleagues/competitors.
    I have working relationships with several inspectors in my area. When one of us is already booked and have clients that must have an inspection in a given time frame, we often refer clients to each other. We also periodically call or email each other about a particularly odd or unusal defect. Several have contacted me to help them find a specific code reference. The business relationships I have built through my local home inspector association have been very beneficial.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I wouldn't worry about what the other inspector thinks about your report. Personally, I really don't like the format of reports used by most other inspectors but that's just me and I'm not the one paying for the inspection. As long as all defects are listed and are explained clearly, that's what matters.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Thumbs up Re: Inspecting for Another Inspector

I agree with Nick, I wouldn't worry about what I think either. Besides, how could someone with a name like Bruce do a bad inspection?

For the record, Bruce did a great job and was a credit to himself and the profession. It's worth it to get another set of eyes and to get experience with local construction customs.

I have done an inspection for another inspector. I felt honored that he chose me.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Hey Bruce,

No direct matches when it comes to practicing home inspectors. Just other types of inspectors involved in insurance, bank, fire dept., etc.

I have read your sample report in the past and I appreciate the straightforward way you report and use photos.

If you come through ATL again, please look me up for a ride-along.

Hi Hank,

Thanks. I lived and built in Atlanta for 20 years so I think of it as home.

I'll be there in September for the Southeast HI Conference. I have a pretty full teaching schedule so I probably won't have time to do much else. Be sure to look me up if you're going.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Spinnler View Post
    Hey Bruce,

I have read your sample report in the past and I appreciate the straightforward way you report and use photos.

If you come through ATL again, please look me up for a ride-along.
    Hank, I will be in ATL in a month or two. Thanks for the offer. I will give you a call and see if we can hook up.

(There are two Bruce's responding so it can be confusing)

Ron Bibler Guest

Not for another inspector but for a college professor from Eureka College Building Dept... Nice guy...I did not known who he was until i was just about done... Nice Guy...But very sharp. We complete the walk through at the end and he was very happy... I must say i was so glade that i found a very little water stain on the base board in the hallway. (Slab House) on a hill... Thank you Infrared Camera ...

Best

Ron