Default Heart Rescue - Would You Know What To Do?

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Heart Rescue - Would You Know What To Do?

What happens whey you click "Freak out"?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It says you failed under testing!

Yes, I believe I would have a basic idea of what to do.

Completed my first CPR instructor class in 1975. Yes, 1975. I have been taking and teaching CPR classes for over 35 years. I have been a certified EMT in two different states. Took a CPR and AED refresher class about 2 months ago.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    What happens when you click "Freak out"?
    It doesn't offer the correct 3rd option.

Before starting chest compressions, you make darn sure the airway is clear and the person actually needs chest compressions, which can break ribs and land a person in the hospital and you the life saver in court.

You don't call 911, you get a bystander to call 911, and report back that they have done so. Seesh. No, it's good but misses a couple of things.

The guy may have passed out from choking on a piece of pork. Now, you've broken his ribs and stopped his heart with a shock device, good one.

ABCD, always in that order.
    Airway - is the airway open? You put on a rubber glove or use a plastic bag and check inside the mouth. Finger sweep.
    Breathing - is there any movement of air?
    Circulation - I didn't see the rescuer check for a pulse. You check the artery on the side of the throat, or the wrist. No pulse, you go to chest compressions.

Deadly bleeding - if the person has a pulse, you go to D, check for blood.

Last edited by John Kogel; 07-24-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added abcd
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

A-Airway
    B-Breathing
    C-Circulation
    D-Disability
    E-Exposure
    F-Fluids
    G-Glucose

Deadly bleeding is usually lumped in with Circulation. If they are profusely bleeding, that is going to affect circulation.

Disability is usually more Level of Consciousness (LOC). Apply the AVPU scale to determine treatment. Some will say disability is the rest of the visual examination including obviously broken broken bones, caved in skull, amputations, etc. Anything past the basic life threatening ABCs.

Exposure is going to bring in stuff like hypo/hyper thermia, heat stroke, chemical/thermal burns, etc.

Fluids is more long term in the form of amount of intake and output over a given time. Skin turgor (tenting), Urine color, etc.

Glucose is sugar level. Obviously affects LOC, urine output, breath smell, etc. I can tell you that when working with 11-17 yr old Boy Scouts, they get cranky around 3 in the afternoon after hiking or being active all day in the outdoors. Give them some peanut butter crackers and a drink of water. Hydration and increase blood sugar. They are no longer cranky, become reasonable, talkative, active and are willing to complete the task.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Thanks, Bruce. I will let you get my heart going again. Anyone else, stay back till the paramedics get here.
    At least check me for a pulse before you start chrushing my chest.

I have taken the basic CPR First Aid course enough times and the Industrial FA way back when. I can do the ABC part.

I used to do bush work for logging outfits. Have twice been obliged to radio for heli-vac, helicopter pickup of people with leg injuries. That involved clearing a landing spot on a slope in the bush so the chopper pilot could toe-in, set the toes of his skids across a log and hover. Neither of those incidents required strapping them onto a spine board, but I learned how.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca