Thread: brick veener

Default brick veener

This is a 1983 detached. Was the brick originally textured (coase surface) or moisture damaged?

I saw some issues, effloresce, spalling, some sections no weep holes where grade could be raised & block them.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Peter Louis; 07-12-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: brick veener

Bricks were made that way (at least I've seen a number of areas of the U.S. where they were fairly common, mostly back in the 50s through 70s). A bigger concern I'd have would be the security cage over the window, which doesn't appear to have any release mechanism for emergency egress.

Thanks, the window is not for bedroom. It is fine in our area.

There isn't a proper drip cap out over the brick facing at stairs. Water is running down brick and freeze/thaw cycle is doing the rest.

Concrete walk poured up against brick is not a good idea and will create conditions favorable to spalling.

Yes, Monitoring, repointing to keep water drain easily & parging as a temp fix, these are exactly what I said.

There is a lot going on in these photos. Specifically there are two bricks that appear to have spalled. I know of only two causes for that. One is extreme heat over 1200 F and secondly water intrusion with freeze heaving or jacking.Past the efflorescence (Confirmation of waterintrusion) it appears the bricks are invery bad shape, the bricks are lighter in color and the mortar joints appear tobe disintegrating. The bricks mortar joints are Raked, they should be Round Ironed, Vee, Weathered, Beaded, Grapevine, Extruded or flush tuck pointed, if it’snot too late. I agree that the drip edge over the bricks is far too narrow. Should be two inches with a channel cut on the underside. The rails look suspect (loose) and next to the plant pot it appears to have an opening bigger than the allowable 4” sphere test. Also using Chimney Saver on brick walls will completely protect it from the elements. The Window and the wall it is installed in are going to be nightmares. I’ll just say I hope there is a good water proofing system and an operable weeping tile. There is more but thats enough for now. By the way, the bricks are made with that rough face. Have a great day.

The bricks are worse on the stairs side. Probably because the moisture barrier worn out under the paved tiles caused moisture on both side of the wall, which effloresce & spalled bricks are here other than exterior wall.

Default Re: brick veneer

Are those full masonry bricks or is that a surface veneer?

The full loathe honey, but to the hungry, even what is bitter tastes sweet.