frank purnell Guest

Default Breaker cuircuts

I was at a friend’s home (built in 2007) a few days ago and her"den" breaker tripped. We found after several trips, that the denwall outlets and kitchen lights were on the same 15 amp breaker. We also foundthe tripping issue was due 2 electric fryers were just turned on connected to aGFI receptacle outside on the patio. My question is should all those be on thesame 15 amp circuit? Should outside GFI circuits be 20 AMP? Should she contactthe builder, electrician or county inspector?

Thanks,

Frank

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Breaker cuircuts

This sounds like a modification or addition by a do-it-yourselfer. At least they installed a GFCI. First question, is the GFCI installed correctly? 2) Is this in compliance with your local codes? It sounds like at least one of the answers is "no". I would suggest she hire a licensed electrician to further evaluate and correct as he deems necessary for the safety of the occupants and prevent a possible hazard. Better to be safe than sorry.

I think 2 electric fryers running at once would trip even a 20 amp breaker. Most appliances with a heating element are typically 1500 watts. She needs to run them on different circuits (no extension cords!).

Mark Fisher
    Allegany Inspection Service - Cumberland MD 21502 - 301-722-2224
    Home Inspections, Mold Testing, Thermal Imaging

frank purnell Guest

Thanks everyone,
    I dont think she will be running the 2 fryers again, so maybe this is not a real issue unless that circuit keeps tripping. I just thought it was odd that those three areas would be on the same 15 amp circuit.

Frank

Maybe it meets the minimum NEC standards, Robert would know, but around here, we expect a 2007 home to have a separate circuit for outdoor outlets.

Yes, the outdoor receptacles must be GFCI protected, that is required.

Last edited by John Kogel; 07-24-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Re-read the post
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca