Default This this A/C correct

Is this a/c unit properly sized for a 2100 sq. ft. two story home?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: This this A/C correct

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Roshak View Post
    Is this a/c unit properly sized for a 2100 sq. ft. two story home?
    Depends, but it looks like it is 36,000 btu's so it should be enough but many factors come into play when sizing an AC system in a home.

Honestly any two story home should have a system for up and one for down, it just makes more sense than expecting one system to make both levels comfortable.

That is also an older R22 system that has had a good life!

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 07-24-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Bob Spermo Guest

I am getting a little tired of home inspectors attempting to validate/invalidate the size of A/Cs! There is a lot of information required before an intelligent answer can be given. In addition, if you read the IRC and IECC new construction (and many would argue) replacements units need to be sized according to an approved method using Manual J, D and S.

Why are home inspectors attemting to call a system too large or too small? It is not part of any SOP that I know of. I believe it could get inspectors in trouble and possibly sued. In many states only licensed HVAC contractors and/or licensed engineers can do HVAC loads. If I was selling a house and an inspector called my A/C too small or too large the first question I would ask - May I see your approved load calculations? In Texas I would then ask if I could see your HVAC contractor's license.

I am sure this will get some heated debate!

I totally agree with you Bob.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

FYI:
    I've seen plenty of "flipped" houses where the rehabber installed whatever hvac they bought off craigslist, or de-installed from a foreclosed pos, so I think seeing an odd size, or wrong size, should raise suspicion.

Garry Blankenship Guest

I would agree attempting to "approve" the size adequacy is dangerous territory and most know how to diplomatically question the sizing without submitting calculatiuons. However; is there a good basis or rule of thumb to at least know the ball park you should be in "X" s/f per ton or "X" BTU per s/f or what ?