Thread: re inspect

Default re inspect

I have a client that wants me to come back and check the work that was done after I inspected the home. Do you guys have them sign another agreement and give a report? Or do you just inform them. Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

Default Re: re inspect

Eric,

I used to have them sign another agreement for a re-inspection. However, most of the time no one is there and it made it difficult to get a signature.

I have since built into my original agreement the following information and I also put it into my re-inspection summary: A re-inspection is an inspection of only the items on the original summary report. The inspection can only tell if the items are now functional and sometimes if proper methods and materials were used. Most repairs are internal and cannot be viewed. The re-inspection is a limited visual inspection and latent or hidden defects may still be present.

I also give them a one or two page re-inspection summary explaining my findings.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
    I have a client that wants me to come back and check the work that was done after I inspected the home. Do you guys have them sign another agreement and give a report? Or do you just inform them. Thanks!
    Eric,

Careful with that. Last one in generally owns it. If you are going to reinspect, make sure you are clear that you are only verifying that the work was done, not that it was done properly. They should have permits and inspections from the AHJ and documentation from licensed contractors. They probably won't, but make sure you let them know that is what they should have to protect themselves.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    If you are going to reinspect, make sure you are clear that you are only verifying that the work was done, not that it was done properly.
    Hmmm! On my initial inspections I'm verifying that things were done right - don't know why I wouldn't do the same on followup jobs.

I am curious where the concerns (fear?) of re-inspections came from. Does anyone know? Is it a regional thing? How do clients accept this when you say work was done but you can't / won't say whether it was done correctly? Seriously, I don't think I'd have the nerve to tell someone that. Just call me weak kneed.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
    Whoa!

I note that your question is posted in the "VA, FHA, HUD, Disaster and Insurance Inspections" discussion topic area.

Keeping same in mind, this changes, completely, the subject matter, and you need to be more precise, as to just what type of "inspection" you performed, to answer your questions.

(Although, I suspect the choice of subject/discussion topic area was not intentional...)

Does not your state law speak to the subject of limited inspections? and what is minimally required?