Default A/C compressor sucking discharge air back into coils

Question. I know this is not an ideal situation for this a/c unit but I'd like to hear comments for everyone else. The pic shows a wall mounted a/c compressor/condenser (never seen one like it before) that discharges the hot air out the top that then hits a nearby wall and the air is simply sucked back into the system. Today, this dischage air temp was around 120*+. It just seems to be a poor location with the design of the building hindering air flow. My question is this: Just how much will this design affect the operation, short term or long term of the a/c system? I think it will have a measureable impact on the operation of the system.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: A/C compressor sucking discharge air back into coils

You are right, that is a really bad setup. The affect varies based on the outside air temp, cooling load etc. The life of the unit will be affected somewhat too.

I would be curious to see what the installation manual has for clearances.

Did you get any data off the unit and/or the size of the room?

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org

Default Re: A/C compressor sucking discharge air back into coils

As far as data: 2.5 ton unit cooling a condo, not just a room. And, there was no info anywhere. this is one of those places that they built 4-5 years ago and it is just now selling.