Mike Adams Guest

Default Gas shut off valve location

Is there a minimum/maximum distance required for a gas shut off valve from a gas fired fire place? Could this valve be located within a floor system under the gas fired appliance where a removable access door would be installed in the ceiling below?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Gas shut off valve location

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Adams View Post
    Is there a minimum/maximum distance required for a gas shut off valve from a gas fired fire place? Could this valve be located within a floor system under the gas fired appliance where a removable access door would be installed in the ceiling below?
    Yes and no and it depends.

Within 6 feet if in the same room, however, for a fireplace it is allowed to be remotely located (remember, that valve is a service valve, not an emergency shut off valve) provided certain conditions are met.

- G2420.5 (409.5) Equipment shutoff valve. Each appliance shall be provided with a shutoff valve separate from the appliance. The shutoff valve shall be located in the same room as the appliance, not further than 6 feet (1829 mm) from the appliance, and shall be installed upstream from the union, connector or quick disconnect device it serves. Such shutoff valves shall be provided with access.
    - - Exception: Shutoff valves for vented decorative appliances and decorative appliances for installation in vented fireplaces shall not be prohibited from being installed in an area remote from the appliance where such valves are provided with ready access. Such valves shall be permanently identified and shall serve no other equipment.

The question now becomes, is that valve in that ceiling "ready access"?

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 07-20-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Dang! I didn't type "question" in the last sentence the first time.
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Cool Re: Gas shut off valve location

Readily Accessible signifies access without the necessity for removing a panel or similar obstruction.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Readily Accessible signifies access without the necessity for removing a panel or similar obstruction.
    The code says "ready access" and defines it as:
    - READY ACCESS (TO). That which enables a device, appliance or equipment to be directly reached, without requiring the removal or movement of any panel, door or similar obstruction. (See “Access.”)

Which is essentially the same as Readily Accessible:
    - ACCESSIBLE, READILY. Signifies access without the necessity for removing a panel or similar obstruction.

I knew the terms (Accessible and Readily Accessible) were different in the NEC, but I had not looked up Ready Access in quite some time. I guess the word "ready"/"readily" is what makes the "ready access"/"readily accessible" indicate "immediate" without removing anything to get to it. I've got to try to remember that key point.

Thank you, Bob.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I do that all the time, which is why I took the time to look it up again in my IRC, even though it is highlighted front to back.

Many AHJs will also require "readily accessible" to mean not requiring a ladder, tools or any other adjunct. Basically, an adult human min. 5ft. tall should be able to walk over and operate it, inspect it or turn wrenches on the joints.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Many AHJs will also require "readily accessible" to mean not requiring a ladder, tools or any other adjunct. Basically, an adult human min. 5ft. tall should be able to walk over and operate it, inspect it or turn wrenches on the joints.
    Basically, that is how the NEC defines "readily accessible":
    - Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

Makes sense to use the same basic definition for all "readily accessible"/"ready access" conditions.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mike Adams Guest

Thank you for the information Jerry! This gas fired appliance we are talking about is being built by Moberg Fire Places & is quite the custom marvel!