Default AC quits working while I'm inspecting

Walk into a very "cute" 1947 home yesterday. AC is on and blowing cold. Thermostat is set at 73.

I proceed to do the inspection.

When I get to the hall closet containing the gas heater/furnace and evap. coils, I walk back to the thermostat and turn off the AC.

I proceed to look over the furnace and the closet, etc...

I walk back to the thermostat and set the heater to come on. Heater comes on with nice, pretty blue flame. After 2 minutes goes out. Fan never came on.

And guess what....

The fan never came on again, either for the heater or the AC.

Sufficed to say, I rolled my eyes thinking, "well, good for the buyer but it sucks to be me right now."

Anyway, I called the listing agent and explained. Fortunately he sounded like an older, wizened man who chuckled and said, "well things happen".

Owner (young man in late 20's) came home about 30 minutes later and called an AC repairman.

I had already been practicing my "failed under inspection" spiel. Didn't have to use it.

Nice.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Default Re: AC quits working while I'm inspecting

I always check the batteries in the t-stat when that happens. Some t-stats will not work with weak batteries and some will. The better t-stats don't typically have batteries. Carry some AAA's and AA's if you like A/C while you are inspecting the interior.

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org

You didn't mention if the condensing unit started when you switched back to cooling. If it did but the evaporator blower failed to start it could be the run capacitor on the blower motor failed. Would be a coincidence but not having more information this is a shot in the dark. If the fan/limit control is bad, the fan might not run in heat mode but would still run in cooling mode since the fan relay would still energize the high speed lead.

So what other forms of destructive testing do you perform?
    Garage door crushing, perhaps?
    Maybe shower pan testing?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

pretty sure it was the fan motor....smelled a little burnt.

Rick, I market myself as a full-service destructive test performer.

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    So what other forms of destructive testing do you perform?
    Garage door crushing, perhaps?
    Don't forget turning on the lav faucet. Did that once. "It was fine before you got here".

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Just to show what a shower pan is supposed to do and hold during its test ... ...

I am in the process of removing our Jacuzzi tub (removed it last weekend) and installing a stall shower (finished the shower pan Monday night and filled it with water to just short of the top of the curb), checked the shower pan for leaks Tuesday morning and then again that nigh, Wednesday my wife called for inspection for on Thursday, inspector came while my wife was gone in the morning so she called for an inspection today (Friday), inspector came and passed it.

The shower pan has been holding water, full almost to the top of the curb, since Monday night, got home tonight, went out to eat, then came home and drained it.

THAT is what a shower pan is supposed to do - hold water until the water either evaporates or is drained out.

Okay, now "destructive test" the shower pans by filling them with water ... if the shower pan leaks ... it ain't the "test", it's the "shower pan liner".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com