Default Satellite Dish Mounted to Chimney

Somebody have a code reference as why this is wrong?

First time I've ever seen this done. The wiring was passing through the chimney chase down to the attic.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Richard Rushing Guest

Thumbs down Re: Satellite Dish Mounted to Chimney

The only thing I can think of is the installer had his makita with him and decided since it was there... he'd use it.

He must of not been able to get a clear view of the southern sky.

Default Re: Satellite Dish Mounted to Chimney

Rick, I can't help with the code, I don't think there is one. If the wires are in contact with the flue, then there is the clearance to combustibles issue.
    Also, I always question the support of the dish in high wind. They have attached to a 1x4 trim, what are the chances they actually hit a structural member with sufficient lag bolts?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

No code I know of (that's a frame chimney), so ... as long as everything Jim pointed out is okay, it should be okay ...

With one addition: How was the hole through the siding flashed and sealed to keep rain and the weather out?

Jim, I can see that dish coming loose and swinging around the chimney by its wire/cable lead until something rips loose or breaks, then it goes flying.

After several of the hurricanes down in South Florida, there were no dishes left, just the mounts, yanked the wires right out of the attics in some cases. I found some dishes laying in other yards with well over 50 feet of cable lead still attached to the dish. You just know that was a kite flapping in the wind until the cable lead finally broke. Bet people thought Ol' Ben Franklin was out there playing around again.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tim Moreira Guest

Believe it or not, I have seen where satellite company has installed really big dishes (over 6' in diameter) on the hospital roof using only (yes only) concrete blocks to weight the dish down.

I've always asked and never got an answer as to how that dish is supposed to stay on that roof in a hurricane.

No answers but the powers that be at the hospital allow that kind of installation to take place.

Does the cable run thru the attic or is it possible they broke some fire-stops to get the cable down into the living space?

Darren

New Jersey Home Inspection - About the House!

Darren,

Drilling holes in the firestops would be too much trouble for the dish installers.
    They just run it though the attic, punch a hole in a closet ceiling and feed the wire through a wall where you need it.

In and out in 30 min.

Rick,

You've aged WELL!

Darren

Kevin VanderWarf Guest

How about when they mount them directly to the roof with bolts going straight through the shingles.
    I looked up some install instructions last week.
    The steps for installing lean toward good reception rather than proper mounting.
    Step 1: mount the thing pointed toward (I forget what direction).
    Doesn't say what or where to mount it to.
    The steps after that are all about connecting it to the receiver.