william siegel Guest

Default Contractor approved roof

A contractor recently gave this roof a 6 year life expectancy on a roof certification. And of course, the Realtor backed him up.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Contractor approved roof

Bill,

Come'on now, give the guy a break, it was probably sunny the day he was there too, so he figured that, if it never rained again, it would last 6 years.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Listing realtor paid roofer for a roof certification?
    Roofer knows realtor will not be buying a new roof.
    Roofer wishes to inspect more roofs in this county.

Maybe he's inspecting his own handiwork.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

TCattell Guest

Is that a weep hole at the bottom of the valley???? WTF 6 years

Hopefully now windstorms in the next 6 seasons......tell realtor he should use that contractor/roofer at his house!!!

Seems to relate back to a previous thread:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ationship.html

The contractor may have been referring to time in dog years. So it is really only 1 year life expectancy.

Being a double rolled (half lap) installation that was not done correctly and starting with a 10 year projected life and then reducing for the installation factors I would derive a certified life expectancy equal to the time to obtain the inspectors first check of unemployment insurance or first rain. Which ever comes first.

Talk about a tail light warranty.

Roofer just slightly confused--must have his "years" and "minutes" mixed up.

Bill,

A good response would be to have the real estate agent not only get that in writing (which they probably did), but to get a warranty from the roofing contractor that they will replace the roof at no cost if it fails within that 6 year certification period.

And, just for kicks, provide those photos and the roofing contractors name to Miami-Dade licensing department.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by william siegel View Post
    A contractor recently gave this roof a 6 year life expectancy on a roof certification. And of course, the Realtor backed him up.
    Well Life Expectancy of a May Fly How long is the lifespan of a mayfly

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Garry Blankenship Guest

Semantics at play again. In my state you need $ 15.00 and the ability to sign your name to get a General Contractor license, ( could be up to $ 100.00 now ). Point is; what kind of contractor. Get a licensed roofer to certify that and it's got some teeth. I.R a contractor can certify 6 years on any roof w/o even looking and he don't need no teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    Semantics at play again. In my state you need $ 15.00 and the ability to sign your name to get a General Contractor license, ( could be up to $ 100.00 now ). Point is; what kind of contractor. Get a licensed roofer to certify that and it's got some teeth.
    In Florida, to get a roofing contractors license is neither cheap nor easy.

Want to get your roofing license? The best way is to take a course first because it is not an easy test. Here is one place which has excellent instructors and excellent classes: Exam Preparation: Roofing

Then you will need to buy the reference materials (books, etc.) for the test: http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr...s/roofing1.pdf

And you will need to show that you are financially responsible and stable: DBPR Professions - Construction Industry Licensing Board - Financial/Credit

And you have not even got to the application for the test yet, much less the test.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

While we're talking about variations in states' contractor licensing requirements--when I lived in Colorado (1999-2006), that state had absolutely no requirements for being a licensed contractor of any kind. The standard joke was that anyone with a dog and a pickup truck could call himself a contractor, while roofing contractors had to own a ladder as well. I was never able to get a straight answer from the several state/county bureaucrats that I specifically asked why such a system was allowed to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
    While we're talking about variations in states' contractor licensing requirements--when I lived in Colorado (1999-2006), that state had absolutely no requirements for being a licensed contractor of any kind. The standard joke was that anyone with a dog and a pickup truck could call himself a contractor, while roofing contractors had to own a ladder as well. I was never able to get a straight answer from the several state/county bureaucrats that I specifically asked why such a system was allowed to exist.
    I heard something similar from a friend of mine who was going to purchase a large tract of land (a few hundred acres or so) and build a get-a-way house on it. He stopped by the county office to talk with the building official about the building code and he was told 'What building code ... oh, wait, you must mean this ... ' and pulled out about a 4 page book saying where he could build the house on the property, how far from any streams, ponds, etc. - more of a zoning code than a building code.

That was their "building code".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by william siegel View Post
    the roofing material might have +6 years but the instalation,extra silicone caulk, and loose areas showing signs of water intrusion say life expectency -6 years