Default VA certification as a Home Inspector

I recently got a call from someone looking for a VA Certified Home Inspector. I've been in the home inspection business about two years and this is the first call I've received about this. Any ideas on how to become VA Certified? BTW: I've spent numerous hours researching the internet and unable to locate a web page discussing how to become certified.

John
    Safe & Sound Home Inspections

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    John M. Stephens

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: VA certification as a Home Inspector

Depends on the type.I suggest you read some of the topic discussions in this area of the forum (clickable link):

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...al-inspection/

Requirements for various FHA, VA and Department of Ag (Rural developmt) administered underwriting/insured lending programs are similar, rostering program, forms and program names different.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-31-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: corrected link.

Quote Originally Posted by John M. Stephens View Post
    I recently got a call from someone looking for a VA Certified Home Inspector. I've been in the home inspection business about two years and this is the first call I've received about this. Any ideas on how to become VA Certified? BTW: I've spent numerous hours researching the internet and unable to locate a web page discussing how to become certified.

John
    You need to find out what they need the inspection for. If it is just to buy the home then if you are licensed in TN as a home inspector you will qualify. If it is for the construction of the home, remodel, or for a special VA loan or grant then you will not qualify unless you are approved by the VA. To get a Approved you can go to the HUD fee paid inspector website and download the application. Yes, it is on the HUD site.. Make sure you meet their requirements. You will need some references from folks that are in the business.

Fill it out and submit, it will take a month or so before you here back on anything. Be sure you do not leave any space or blank unfilled. Everything must be answered properly or it will be rejected.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

The guy told me he applied for a loan through USAA and they required a VA Certified Home Inspector to do the inspection. I appreciate the replies!

John M. Stephens

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Fixed the link formatting in the post above.

Inspection - Appraisal
    For a home inspection, I've never had a problem with performing inspections for a buyer with a VA loan and I've had a lot. Aside the point of improvements and construction loans, the VA appraisal is OFTEN called a VA inspection; Just like FHA or their ilk. I have become familiar with the things that a typical appraiser will go nuts over and try to bring that to the buyer's attention. Sometimes the lender or closer gets a bit bad information and extrapolates to the extreme. Get the person requiring a VA certified inspector to define the term. I run across this a gazillion times with well water tests. The loan closer wants an FHA or VA or USDA water test that includes lead nitrates, nitrites, Ph and a bunch of stuff that is not required by HUD, the VA or FHA. They only ask for what the locality in which the property exists requires. In my case it's Coliform bacteria. BUT, since they read something about the EPA RECOMMENDED well water tests, that's what they want. If costs several hundred dollars and takes a week or more to obtain the full results doesn't make a difference.

Last edited by Stuart Brooks; 08-04-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Stuart, in your posting you use the word appraisal, why. Are you valuating the property or inspecting it, just curious.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ramirez View Post
    Stuart, in your posting you use the word appraisal, why. Are you valuating the property or inspecting it, just curious.
    Rick
    Inspection - ..., the VA appraisal is OFTEN called a VA inspection, ...

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Ah, thanks. Leave it up to government to miss title a job. Thank you for the prompt reply.

Rick