Default Re: Interesting application

I've been thinking of that for a while. Basically a direct vent dryer. Our dryer is not inside our heated space, but I have often wondered why none of the manufacturers have come out with a direct vent model.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Garry Blankenship Guest

I like the idea. Just unsure about that system drawing air from the attic messing with the humidity levels / designed air flow.

And of course the manufacturer will warranty my appliance now that I have modified it.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

What happens when he has a dead rodent in the attic space? Or the airbourne dust particles, fiberglass being pulled into the dryer?

Rick

Darrel Hood Guest

Since most of the attics I inspect are very dusty, I would think an air filter plenum on the intake would be needed to keep from soiling the clean laundry.

Also, in this region the air from the attic would introduce a high humidity level to the dryer. This must offset some portion (maybe small, maybe large) of the efficiency gain?

I would think that in the winter, the dryer would be a lot more efficient taking in conditioned air. Attic air will be very cold. Also agree with Darrel, in a humid environment, you would be introducing wet air in the summer. I guess this could work if your outside air is hot and dry all year...

Thumbs down Re: Interesting application

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Saw this on a woodworking website.
    Clothes dryer outside air modification
    Oh My Gosh!!! Never have I even thought about makeup direct air to a cloths dryer!!?? I'm sure he used high heat resistant silicone?? He put the direct air box over the heating element!!?? Yes?? DUCT TAPE!!?? Is he serious!!! Electrical tape!!?? GEEEZZZEEEE!! It is not rocket science. Just look in the Operation Manuel if in there and clean your dryer throughly in the lint trap, screen and have your dryer vent cleaned once a year. And most important make sure your dryer vent system meets the IRC and the IMC (current). I have not had a customer complaint about the service I provide. (Dryer Vent Cleaning, reroute, installation). About the video I have to say what they say on ESPN "C'MON MAN!!"

Post Re: Interesting application

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    And of course the manufacturer will warranty my appliance now that I have modified it.
    Yeah, and having a video camera ready when the wife calls the appliance repair man while you are away at a conference would be priceless. It seems a make-up air duct terminating near the dryer would reduce the amount of conditioned air being used to dry the clothes, and eliminate the NASA-looking "upgrade." The video mentions cold air from the attic in winter, and that would be easily remedied by a U-bend air trap at the attic end of this "modification."

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com