Wink Proper Water Heater Strapping in CA

Can anyone tell me just from the pictures if this it the proper rope to use as an earthquake strap in CA and what is the approved width of stucco that the rope has to loop through?

I looked up the type of knot tying the rope together. That appears to be the proper knot so no need to comment on that.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Proper Water Heater Strapping in CA

Brian,

That storage type fuel fired water heater is not secured correctly for the califoria requirements.

For one thing, the type, size, and profile of same requires strapping/securement in two places. One being at above the lower third, the one above needs to be nearer the top third.

There are instructions and examples referenced in many places on local california jurisdictional offices' web sites, most refer or reprint or restate those outlined by the state architects office.

I have to dash off, but I'm quite confident i've supplied copies (possibly a pdf file attachment) and/or direct links to that material on this forum before - perhaps you might search within the forum, and IIRC others have supplied information as well. This information also includes how the braces must be secured, and what material is permissible to use for bracing. There are other fctors to consider as well, connections, clearances required by listing, type of storage tank or water heater, securement of platform mechanism, protection requirements for the device itself, and manufacturer's listed installation instructions, as well as all other required mechanical, electrical (if applicable), fuel gas, etc. requirements regarding placement, clearances, access, etc.

Loose rope over aftermarket insulation at the mid-point (think fulcrum, bottom flopping over top) would not suffice for the tall profile storage-type water heater. The "hook" set in patched surface 'stucco' is not sufficient. It must be interfaced to the wood framing behind same, and not just 'into' a single stud. Again, the references mentioned previously spell this out - applying sufficient strength lumber which spans across more thn one frming member which can then support the strapping interface or securements. Requires securement to two loctions at structure - not a single point. The 'through the (sheathing? or just tar paper, wire lath & stucco) building finish between studding, especally at a single location will not do.

One wonders the delisting activity removing the warning stickers, applying aftermrket insulation blanket, then re-attching warning labels to said blanket.

Further wandering, wondering, off-main topic, is tht the TPRV dischrge is too high off the lower level garage floor, and its elevation nd proximity to garage exit at the step and door is questinable regarding CPC (upc) requirements and basic safety regarding not dischrging in the path in a manner that compromises the pathway that the party must travel to shut down the appliance (i.e. near steam flash, scalding temperatures, condensation vapor cloud when hitting colder floor), someone traveling tht stair path to doorway to survive the shaking or entering garage to shutdown runaway water heater could be injured.

P.S. now tht I've spouted off quickly and on my way off to do something else, I wonder if (despite without an "emoticon" or other indiction in the first paragraph, noting the winking emoticon about "the type of knot"), if your post was meant to be funny, and not a serious question - since "the rope" is obviously no good, and has issues where it is tied from the ends of the hook in the tar paper. If it is a serious post, and the informtion hasn't been located by yourself or others - I'll find it when I get back this evening when I have the time, for you, and post links on the instant discussion thread. I'm guessing the entirety was "tongue in cheek" and because I was leaving soon, may hve missed since I remain uncertain, that could assume the post was sincere on the face, or not.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-07-2012 at 01:00 PM.

HG, we're pretty sure Brian is joking here.
    The rope is tied through 2 holes poked in the sheathing and the stucco.

Earthquake strapping isn't rocket science, but this cowboy needs to step up and buy some metal straps.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Thumbs up Re: Proper Water Heater Strapping in CA

A plumber (I'm guessing) has come in and fixed the strapping but of course it is still not correct. I will post pictures when I get a chance.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post
    A plumber (I'm guessing) has come in and fixed the strapping but of course it is still not correct. I will post pictures when I get a chance.
    Brian,

Division of the State Architect office's guideline document from 2004 (source URL: http://www.seismic.ca.gov/HOG/waterh...g_08-11-04.pdf ) attached, didn't verify if an updated version is available. Plumbers tape or EMT methods diagramed. Additional local more restrictive rules may apply, specifics of site installtion must be considered. Note larger (capacity) storage-type water heaters and water tanks may require more than 2-strap/brace/securement sets.

The majority is covered in the CPC Chapter 5 (attached, source URL: http://www.iapmo.org/2010%20Californ...apter%2005.pdf ), connections to WH see also Chapter 6 (a number of specifics therein) See also appropriate chapter on venting requirements and TPRV discharge (and/or converted to drainage) You can view or d/l the additional chapters, index, supplmts at: Pages - 2010CaliforniaPlumbingCode ).

Quote Originally Posted by 2010 California Plumbing Code, 508.2

508.2 Protection from Seismic Damage. Water heaters shall be anchored or strapped to resist horizontal displacement due to earthquake motion. Strapping shall be at points within the upper (1/3) and lower one-third (1/3) of its vertical dimmensions. At the lower point, a minimum distance of four (4) inches (102 mm) shall be mintained above the controls with the strapping.

Note: {HCD 1 & HCD 2} Reference Health and Sfety Code Section 19211(a) which addresses new, replacement, and existing water heaters

Note: The applicable subsection of Health and Safety Code Section 19211(a) which addresses new, replacement, and existing water heaters is repeated here for clarity and reads as follows:
    Section 19211(a) Notwithstanding Section 19100, all new and replacement water heaters, and all existing residential water heaters shall be braced, anchored, or strapped to resist falling or horizontal displacement due to earthquake motion. At a minimum, any water heater shll be secured in accordance with the California Plumbing Code, or modifications made thereto by a city, county, or city and county pursuant to Section 17958.5.
    HTH.

Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks, HG. That is the most detailed document I have seen yet. Conduit bracing bolted to the strapping is something we have not encountered here yet, but maybe we will after the next big tremor.

Brian, that knot in the rope appears to be a Granny Knot, not approved outside of Beverly Hills.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Division of the State Architect office's guideline document from 2004... didn't verify if an updated version is available...
    I have heard that this is no longer the standard here in CA but don't know if anything other than the California Plumbing Code has replaced it. I am looking for more current information. I have only seen the strapping described in the DSA document once. Generally used are the kits from the hardware store or something like Brian's example.

And Brian,

I thought the post was funny.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I have heard that this is no longer the standard here in CA but don't know if anything other than the California Plumbing Code has replaced it. I am looking for more current information. I have only seen the strapping described in the DSA document once. Generally used are the kits from the hardware store or something like Brian's example.

And Brian,

I thought the post was funny.
    Many Thanks Gunnar for catching my having apparently uploaded an older 2004 version to the earlier post, am attaching the 11-30-2005 dated revision from the DSA as the second attachment to this post below (revisions dated 11-30-2005 made to pgs 1-3 of 12, and pgs 4-12 remain as were issued in 2002).

Both documents refer to approved kits for bracing WHs for seismic sold at hardware stores available as alternatives to what is shown in the documents in pgs. 1-12.

I do not know the current status/language of California Codes Health and Safety Code Sections 19210-19217 (esp. 19211), at a california gov. site, but did not check the official source for same for chnges, status, etc., those sections (were?) posted (undated) at the following government link (which may not be up-to-date) at (esp. 19211) http://www.seismic.ca.gov/pub/Health...ty%2019211.pdf

The continuing reference to same in the 2010 CPC which I quoted, I presume the (more updated 2005) advisory DSA document is still applicable (remember, as mentioned above, I GOOFED earlier and uploaded/attched an older/earlier 2004 version to the earlier post ). I'm now attaching the most current version I could find on the DSA web site (sourced from this link: http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/dsa/...g_11_30_05.pdf ) which is dated November 2005) to this post (second attached document below). I believe it is still applicable as a guidance document for those installations where appropriate, local rules don't provide additional requirements otherwise, and where the manufacturer's instructions reference minimum california requirements and/or special specific mfg instructions do not conflict with same. The document link above (also attached) makes reference to the minimum requirements in the CPC, local rules, ordinnces, and manufacturer instructions. Interestingly, it also makes reference to required certifications from the seller of real property. I do not know if the document is the current codified version, or if the legislative language hs been subsequently amended or repealed. Since local authorities may impose stricter requirements, and would be the best resource regarding local "issues" i.e. other areas of codes being stricter, and/or local earthquake requirements, I did refer B.H. to his local office of jurisdiction for the best, most up-to-date requirements.

The Divison of the State Architect as it is now referred to (of the Department of General Services) web site continues to make references, and hosts the (revised in 05) document.

The following are two additional links which may prove helpful and/or contain additional infomation including publications available to be downloaded.

DSA Publications

California Seismic Safety Commission

Haven't had a need to determine status, however, a simple review of the equipment, its age, manufacturer's instructions if first sold after the date indicated in the legislation, the recommenations, and the language of the CPC I previously quoted, would indicate at a minimum what was pictured obviously not sufficient, an inquiry to the local authority office would clarify what is required and if the DSA's revised (2005) document is minimally sufficient if in concert with the manufacturer's instructions, otherwise checking with the originl equipment manufacturer.

I leave it to you, BH, and others in Calif. to update us if necessary on the current status of the requirements for seismic bracing of storage type water heaters and water tanks with volumes less thn 120 gals.

P.S. it is abundantly clear that seismic bracing must be applied and secured according to any more stringent requirements of the local jurisdiction, the CPC, the circumstances of the location (and via water heater or storage tank mnufacturer's instructions for applicable seismic bracing, aftermarket kit and possibly via the guidance documents referenced by the DSA) before application of and not over or after the installation of any after market insulation blanket applied to a water heater or storage tank.

HTH.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-13-2012 at 07:22 PM.