Jeremy Brugger Guest

Question Which tablet works best?

Hi, I am new to the forum thing so forgive me if it's obvious. I am just getting into the biz and I am going to be using Inspectit software because thats what I learned on and am comfortable with. However....I don't know much about tablets and would appreciate your knowledge on the subject. I just need one that is not an apple, has a usb port and can hook up to a portable printer via bluetooth, oh, and it has to have a camera. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you in advance!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Which tablet works best?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Brugger View Post
    Hi, I am new to the forum thing so forgive me if it's obvious. I am just getting into the biz and I am going to be using Inspectit software because thats what I learned on and am comfortable with. However....I don't know much about tablets and would appreciate your knowledge on the subject. I just need one that is not an apple, has a usb port and can hook up to a portable printer via bluetooth, oh, and it has to have a camera. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you in advance!
    I would recommend using a "real" camera and not the one on the tablet. Spend a couple hundred on a good crudproof (waterproof) camera and you will not regret it. Do yo really want to traverse an attic or roof while holding a tablet?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Jeremy Brugger Guest

Thanks Scott, most of the guys out here are using tablets with heavy duty cases. Some are using the Motorola zoom, you can take and insert pic during the inspection then as soon as they are done they can print on site or email. No redoing stuff or inserting pics later. I can do it on my phone, but would like a tablet...mainly for size.

Thanks Scott, most of the guys out here are using tablets with heavy duty cases. Some are using the Motorola zoom, you can take and insert pic during the inspection then as soon as they are done they can print on site or email. No redoing stuff or inserting pics later. I can do it on my phone, but would like a tablet...mainly for size.
    That might work in the classroom but it won't be practical in a real life situation, I don't think, but I'm one of the old farts.

I take a ton of pics and record data on paper but could be tapping it into a tablet. I don't bring my binder and I won't bring a tablet with me everywhere. When I do, I end up putting it down as soon as possible so that I can operate things, take covers off, get down on my knees or up on a chair or ladder. Sometimes I lose my binder that way, so I generally find a table or washing machine nearby and leave it there. I wouldn't dream of taking notes up on a roof. I take pictures everywhere I go. The camera goes into cavities my head won't go. Chimneys, drainpipes, dirty holes. When I need two hands, often, the camera goes in a pouch on my belt. At the 2.5 hour mark, I have a laptop up and running, and load pics while testing stuff in the kitchen. It takes a minute or two to load pics with the USB cord. I never touch the memory card, always the cord. I always check my pics towards the end, because if there's an issue I've forgotten, I've got a picture of it.

I use a cheap little camera and pack a spare because I drop them, that takes AA's, because batteries go dead when you need them most. You'll see.

Behind the water heater in a closet full of hockey gear, is there a floor drain? Shoot it with the camera. No room for a big tablet in a waterproof case. Yesterday I had a plasma TV in front of the fireplace. I got the camera in there and shot the damper and the firebox without moving all the stuff that was piled on the hearth. When you start, you'll be slow. If you use your phone for pics, it needs a flash, which it doesn't have, right? How can you take a pic in a dark attic without a flash? I turn flash on to bring out details around windows, all the indoor pics are taken with flash. You'll see what I mean.

Last edited by John Kogel; 08-08-2012 at 09:17 AM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I agree with the others.... taking pictures with a tablet just isn't realistic for all scenarios.

I'd say get a cheapie tablet and play around with it to decide if that's what you really want. I got a small 7" one on sale for $200 and it's a fun toy but just isn't versitile enough for inspections (I mainly use it to play around at home or my kids watch Netflix on it).

I think you'll find that you need to input too much text for a tablet to be useful (as in, you need a keyboard). You may think a good bank of comments means you don't need to write much but it's just not the case. There isn't a day that I don't need to write something "from scratch" to accurately describe a situation.... and I've been working on my comments for 12 years now. In order to survive on pre-written comments alone your reports will be so generic and vauge that you'll never work.

I'm partial to a small 12" IBM/Lenovo laptop and a smartphone. The phone allows me to see my schedule instantly and do some small internet surfing and other functions. The real laptop (as opposed to a netbook or tablet) allows total functionality for typing, replying to emails on the fly, downloading pictures, etc, etc.

Overall, I'd say just don't sink too much $$ into something unless you're sure that's the avenue you want to pursue. We all have our favorite ways of doing things and there's no right or wrong.... just don't go broke while riding the "learning curve."

Another old-school guy here. I use a decent digital camera (fairly compact, good optical and digital zoom) for the reasons mentioned above - portability and access to tight spaces. Back in the day, I used to bring my laptop (pre-tablet days) and portable printer to transfer pics and write/deliver report on-site. Set it up in the kitchen, do the inspection, write it up, and hand to client. While it was nice to be done and not have anything to worry about later, I ended up spending waaay too much time on site.

Now I just bring a clipboard and my camera. Camera fits in pocket so ladder climbing and crawlspace/attic crawling can be done hands-free. If the clipboard gets dropped or wet, it's only a $1.29 loss. I average over five years life for the cameras (been using Canon SureShot) before something breaks; given the places they have been, that's pretty damn good. I take a ton of pictures (150+) on each inspection so that pretty much everything I call out gets a picture (Carson Dunlop Horizon reports).

I despise the 'Checklist Charlie' reports. I've always been heavy on narrative and while I have a nice collection of stock comments, I still spend a lot of time wordsmithing - I've done enough expert witness and litigation work that I write everything as if it is going to be used in court. Time-consuming, but my reports are rock solid (from a technical perspective, not a CYA one which seems unfortunately prevalent in the industry). The last time I was challenged, the seller brought in a structural engineer, who ended up giving an almost identical assessment with an identical solution.

Quality pictures make the report and can save your ass. If I had a tablet, I'd still park it in the kitchen and go the clipboard-and-camera route for the actual inspection.

Mark Fisher
    Allegany Inspection Service - Cumberland MD 21502 - 301-722-2224
    Home Inspections, Mold Testing, Thermal Imaging

Hey Jeremy, do as you wish but learn from what others have already done!

I know a bunch of inspectors in your area; the good and successful ones do not use their tablet computer to take photos at the inspection. Most as other have noted take many pictures, a few notes and either input their report in their computer in the kitchen or back at the office.

I write about 75% of my report onsite (in the kitchen) or if I really do not want to spend time in the home (AC is out, it is a POS pig sty)I just take more photos and put the report together back at my office.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Jeremy,

Everyone makes good and valid points about cameras and tablets. As with any equipment there are pros and cons. But no one has answered about what is the best tablet. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus. I previously used a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7. They are both great. The 7 inch size is very convenient for carrying around and easily fits in a belt bag or in a pocket in a pinch. It takes good to acceptable photos depending on the conditions. I have a rubberized cover on it and a very good screen protector. I've dropped it a couple of times and so far all is well. It is not practical for use in crawlspaces or attics no matter how I configure it. For everything else it works well. The Samsung is one of the highest rated devices and you can get one for $200 to $250 if you shop around a bit. Android tablets can be quite iffy and everyone is different in it's performance and compatibility. The cheap ones are just that...cheap crap! I tried one and immediately sent it back the same day.

I take a lot of photos with it and using the Dropbox program, every photo I take automatically uploads to my laptop as soon as I connect to the internet. No cables, no swapping memory cards. For the photos that I can't take with the tablet, I use a "crudproof" tough camera. I have an Eye-Fi card in it, so all photos on it will auto upload to my laptop when connected to my office internet. YOu can also configure it so that camera photos auto upload to the Tablet device. There are tradeoffs in everything and what works for one may not work for others. If you are set on using a Tablet in the field try to find someone who has one and will let you play around with it a bit. You may or may not like the experience.

Jeremy,

I doubt that you're going to want to carry a tablet or clipboard when you hike up onto a roof and weasel through a crawl space. I use a small digital recorder for all my notes and a digital camera for the photos. The recorder is on a small lanyard that I loop around a shirt button and the camera is in a pouch that's on a workbelt that carries a few other frequently used items. This way I keep my hands free.

All I do on an inspection is collect information via voice or photos. The report is written later when I have time to craft my comments which are usually better than if I was writing while I was trying to inspect.

As for a camera - a phone or tablet isn't going to as useful as a digital camera. Mine has a 40X zoom and at 3 megapixels I can get close and personal with far away objects. I know that some inspectors don't want to get into any editing but in my experience every report I create requires some time preparing pics for inclusion.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Hi Jeremy, I wanted to speed up my reports. So I bought a Samsung 11.5 tablet cost 1250. After my first inspection with it. I found that it was unrealistic to use. Built in camera is not great and it has no flash. Also as everyone has commented it really is not practical, at least for me. I still have to carry my camera and tools. No extra hands to carry the tablet. If you put the tablet down so you can input data later. You have just defeated the purpose of buying the tablet for that purpose. So for me, I take lots a pictures and make notes on a small pad. This works the best for me. Also, many experienced inspectors have told me, if you create a report on site, you might miss something important that might other wise have been caught during your review of your report, back in your office, before submitting it to your client. This comment is only my personal opinion. As Scott said you do whats best for you as you learn from others. Good luck to you and welcome to the forum.

Fidel F. Gonzales
    RELIANT INSPECTION SERVICE
    http://www.reliant-corp.com

I've had great success with the Samsung GALAXY Note - Samsung Mobile
    and Download Android Home Inspection Software - HomeGauge
    most data entry is done onsite, it fits in your back pocket, you can add video and record voice notes, saves lots of time . I also have a camera handy for telephoto shots.

www.dapkusinspections.com
    www.chicagoinfraredthermalimaging.com
    Infraspection Institute Certified Level III Thermographer # 8510

Many good comments from experienced inspectors. I tried my hand, about 12 years ago, at on-sight reports and found it unrealistic. Wasted about $2 grand on computer and portable printer, software etc, which ended up getting shoved under the desk collecting dust. I had to always set down the computer somewhere while running around the house, then have to walk back and make notes, just a big time drain. Then, to try to think clearly to write an accurate description of a condition while your client is waiting, the RE agent is standing there looking at their watch while asking how much longer, seller's kids are crying wanting lunch, you're late for your next appointment, just did not work. Make up a paper field form, take good notes, take lots of pictures, prepare back in your office when you have time to think, double check everything then send it off when you are comfortable with your final product. Your report is WAY to important to do in a hurry under pressure.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Schaumann View Post
    Many good comments from experienced inspectors. I tried my hand, about 12 years ago, at on-sight reports and found it unrealistic. Wasted about $2 grand on computer and portable printer, software etc, which ended up getting shoved under the desk collecting dust. I had to always set down the computer somewhere while running around the house, then have to walk back and make notes, just a big time drain. Then, to try to think clearly to write an accurate description of a condition while your client is waiting, the RE agent is standing there looking at their watch while asking how much longer, seller's kids are crying wanting lunch, you're late for your next appointment, just did not work. Make up a paper field form, take good notes, take lots of pictures, prepare back in your office when you have time to think, double check everything then send it off when you are comfortable with your final product. Your report is WAY to important to do in a hurry under pressure.
    Hope this helps.
    My experience has been very similar to Ken's. I may still eventually go with a pocket sized tablet & HG Companion, just to pick off those scavenger hunt items.

I agree with Eric B and Ken S..... digital recorder for the attics and crawls, old MobilePro900 for roof, interior and exterior - when inspection is over I'm 3/4s done with the report, but I still have to add the attic and crawl, proof read everything and run spellcheck, which I do later in the evening. As for the photos, Canon Sureshot with a 2 gig card. I don't incorporate photos "into" the report, they're described and "saved as", then sent via Gmail... If client's don't have a gmail account, they're missing out - best image handling email client there is -entire description stays with each photo.....Got tired of agents calling saying they couldn't make out a pic in the copy of the report that the other agent "faxed" to them !!!!

Used to print onsite years ago, but, like others have noted, you always seem to remember something that wasn't in the report when you have nice large pics up on your desktop computer monitor....Recently been trying to get my Dragon Naturally tweaked so I can just do talk to text, but unfortunately the software is very sensitive and prints out something similar to Chinese-Arabic combined !!!

Last edited by Jim Hintz; 08-13-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Haven't physically printed out (or faxed) a report for several years now. As noted, makes pictures hard to see. With Horizon, my reports, with pics included, are in PDF format - usually less than 2 mb even with many pictures. Can't remember the last time a client didn't have email, even the seniors.

In my earlier days of digital pics, I would do a narrative and mail a CD with the pics. Then tried to email Word docs with pics inserted, but they got too large for many email services. My world changed when I found a $5 software CD in a Staples bargain bin called 'Print to PDF' that lets me convert anything I can print into PDF format (didn't want to pay several hundred for Adobe Acrobat). Now, when I have a specialty report (usually litigation/court work) I do a Powerpoint presentation heavy on large format, heavily annotated pictures, converted to PDF for easy distribution. It's very nice when the judge holds up the report and says that you can't argue with this.

I also agree that reviewing the pics from an inspection after the fact often turns up something, or at least tempers an initial assessment. I'm careful to tell my clients, when I give a verbal summary of the 'highlights' on site, that the actual report may vary somewhat after I review the pictures.

I wouldn't mind having a tablet or some kind of immediate, direct entry method to use on site, so I can focus on the more complicated aspects or wording later, but I don't need any additional expenses these days.

Mark Fisher
    Allegany Inspection Service - Cumberland MD 21502 - 301-722-2224
    Home Inspections, Mold Testing, Thermal Imaging

I have been using the ASUS Transformer for about 6 months now and have been loving it. The screen is big enough that the keyboard is actually useful and with the jacket I bought it is like carrying around a clipboard. I tried several different programs and finally settled on HomeGauge. It worked best for me and I felt it had the most professional appearance. My Tablet stays indoors while I travel rooftops, crawlspaces and attics (unless the furnace or water heater is up there). It does make it easier to jot down notes and serial numbers as you go through the home. With a couple touches, I can either enter the canned comments or jot down a couple key words to remind me later. When I get home, I sync it to the laptop and the report is half done. I add pictures and refine any comments to finish the report. Now I don't have to worry about trying to read any of my own writing or keep up with any paper copies.

Interesting topic, nobody has mentioned an iPad which happens to outsell other tablets by about 20 to 1, I did an inspection yesterday with my new iPad 3, the camera is the best I have ever had. I have a blue tooth keyboard to type in the narrative and I also can speak the narrative into a dictation microphone built into the iPad three. I also carry a small camera with a flash to take pictures where flash is needed. The pictures from the camera are easily loaded into the iPad and the report is ready for email or print within minutes. I am old-school also but the answer to the original question is iPad 3 is the best way to go.

Jim,
    Which inspection software are you using with the iPad 3? I am using Inspectit's Home Report on my iPad and I am less enthused by it, especially after talking to other inspectors using Home Gauge and Palmtech.

Pierre, I am using tap inspect, which has an app in the app store, I practiced with it for awhile as it was very different than the paper system I use to use. When I got into the real world, it produced a very satisfactory report. Like anything, the more you use it the easier it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    All I do on an inspection is collect information via voice or photos. The report is written later when I have time to craft my comments which are usually better than if I was writing while I was trying to inspect.

As for a camera - a phone or tablet isn't going to as useful as a digital camera. Mine has a 40X zoom and at 3 megapixels I can get close and personal with far away objects. I know that some inspectors don't want to get into any editing but in my experience every report I create requires some time preparing pics for inclusion.
    Listen to this man. My personal experience mirrors his.

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

I would suggest buying a used tablet that will run the software you are using to keep your expenses low while you determine if this is the route you want to go. eBay has a ton of these available. This will allow you to run a proof of concept for minimal expense.

Unlike some of the others I started using a tablet several months ago initially as an experiment and found it to cut a couple of hours off of producing an inspection report. Admittedly I use a program for my reports using Word that I customized and tailored for inputting my observations directly into the reports which helps a lot. I figured why write it down then go home and enter it into a computer when I can skip a couple of steps and enter my observations directly into the report. I don't go on roofs or into crawlspaces with the tablet, I just take the camera and enter my observations on the tablet after I am off the roof or out of the crawlspace.

I initially thought the weight of the tablet might be an issue (my tablet is a Windows pc and is larger than what most think of as a tablet today) but I have not found that to be the case. In addition to saving me time in producing my reports I have code information on the tablet and can look it up while I am at the inspection if needed. The Windows tablet software has voice recognition software as well that allows me to add comments verbally when needed rather than typing them on the virtual keyboard.

I've thought about having the client use the tablet to sign the contract also and include it in the report but haven't proceeded with that yet as I am still considering the ramifications of such a practice.

The longer I use a tablet for inspections the more uses I am finding for it.

I never take a computer on an inspection, other than the wetware I was born with and my android "phone". Like most multitasking electronic devices it does some things well, but misses the mark when it comes to its primary task of making phone calls consistently.

A decade ago I tried using a laptop in the field. I never got comfortable using the smaller keyboard. I also like a much larger screen. Besides, let's be honest here, where will one be more comfortable doing a real inspection report, in the front seat of the vehicle, someone else's house, or in the office? Of course, I am not speaking to the under 50 page guys. Those are not reports. They are napkin notes. These are easy to write and also handy for wiping your mouth after kissing an agents derriere.

Need a camera? Then get a camera. Your tablet does not have a 30X+ zoom, take 15+ megapixel photos, the wherewithal to make low lux photos, the ability to make HD video, etc..

Need a flashlight? Then get a flashlight. Your tablet will not blind someone with sunglasses at 300 yards or scramble eggs on the lens. But, some geek is likely working on those apps . . .

Some legitimate uses I can imagine for lap tops or tablets in an inspection are:

(1) Shims for ladder legs on uneven ground.
    (2) If it spans two shingles, a base for your level to determine roof pitch.
    (3) Something to fill low spots in the yard so you don't get your boots muddy.
    (4) Height-enhancing chair pads (for the diminutive) designed to give one a commanding view of the clients while doing a verbal review at the dining room table.
    (5) Lifesaver when filled with video games for the screaming, unruly progeny of the ubiquitous indulgent parent clients.
    (6) Something to toss at the nose attached to the set of teeth on the dog attacking you.
    (7) A larger screen for your clients to view photos taken during the inspection. - The only possible legitimate use I can imagine.

Last edited by Aaron Miller; 08-20-2012 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Typo
    Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Aaron, that is funny!

Jim Hime Guest

Napkin note is accurate. IMO.

(7) A larger screen for your clients to view photos taken during the inspection. - The only possible legitimate use I can imagine.

That's the one.
    I don't need to prop up the chair seat (4) because I don't sit until I'm back in my truck, with payment in my pocket.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Donald Mead Guest

Phone for the camera tablet for report.

I agree with much of the hesitancy to use a tablet. I go back and forth, and am currently using a tablet to capture some info, but still very much rely on my photos for office preparation of my report. Being in the Puget Sound area, rain is a real issue, and I recently picked up - and am happy with - a Pantech Element. It's waterproof, reasonably priced, and I've successfully done exteriors in full rain with it. I also carry a waterproof camera for the same reason, but carry a higher quality camera for interior work. That way if one camera goes down I've still got a backup. And I always have my clipboard with my many-page checklist/guide in case the tablet goes down. I also picked up a simple attachment that allows me to hold the tablet comfortably in one hand, using the other hand for entry. It makes it really easy to put down and pick up. All of that said, the tablet never goes to the roof or into a crawlspace.

Ted Menelly Guest

I had a tablet years ago when they came out (I think it is somewhere behind me in the desk). I truly thought "what a wonder" Only to say a very very short time after " I wonder why I bought this."

I went to a 17 inch screen laptop and loved it for when I knew I was going to have time and I would down load my pictures and review them before folks showed up. If I had a lot of time to kill I would go section by section and start putting photos inn those sections.

I even did reports for a short while on site if I had time. All of that reversed and now I do bring a moderate size laptop in the cases that I know I will have time but have completely reverted to still doing the report at the office.

Me, at home, doing a report

Start up computer

Time for a snack

back to getting started on the report

Lets check the email

Back to the report

Hm, a beer is sounding good

back to that report

Getting close to dinner. Lets see what we have to eat

Answer phone calls

return phone calls

Damn the sausages are burning

Back to the report dinner rescued

Oops, time to eat.

Anyway. It has taught me to not only take my time on a report but actually review it properly. Relax, do take breaks, review pictures (you will be amazed at what you see in them after you took them sometimes)

Don't do the report on sight (I am amazed that I used to do it on site at times. I just cannot understand why I did other than to be done before getting home and having a life). To many distractions and then you wind up trying to hurry to get it done. When you think you have time in pops the buyers and now you are explaining, doing a walk thru getting back to the report and talking while doing it and folks waiting and and and and

Funny stuff, Ted.
    I have been working out of my home office for so many years, that it is work when I step into it. During the inspection, I take photos and make my notes on my paper report that I started with all those years ago. Then in my home office, I download the photos and prepare the illustrated report. The TV is off, the music is loud (it has to be rock music) and I pound out the report in about two hours. Once, I step through the door into my office, I am in work mode even if the cat is sitting on my desk. It's my wife that can't understand the concept.

Jeremy,

I settled on the Samsung Note (the small one) its like 5-1/2". Big enough to use for input, small enough to hold in one hand and fit in my pocket.

I have an Otterbox Defender case on it an have used it for 6 months without a hiccup.

Because it fits in a pocket, I still have both hands free for ladder climbing, walking thru trusses, etc. It rides along in my coverall upper pocket in the crawlspaces just fine.

Andrew Constantine
    CharlotteHomeInspectorTips.com
    Charlotte North Carolina Home Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Schaumann View Post
    Hope this helps.
    You nailed it Ken !

Dennis, you brought back to life a 2 year old thread to congratulate Ken on posting a narrow minded opinion admitting he doesn't have to skills that some of us do?
    I find it very funny when people talk about how something is impossible, or citing "problems" that most of us have never seen while doing inspections on site, or at minimum having a laptop on the kitchen counter while we do the inspection.

Home Gauge Companion on a Galaxy S4, Canon Powershot 10 mp, make some notes on clip board , write report at home on laptop, email report.

I have been in the business for about 7 1/2 years & currently use an IPAD MINI with Spectacular software. I also carry a camera with me so if I really need the flash. I have a super bright rechargeable flashlight I use most of the time with the IPAD & it works great. I have used 4 different softwares since I started & I guarantee Spectacular is the best. When you have a question or problem you talk to the actual creator & you don't need a training class to figure out how to run it. It's totally customizable & simple. I have looked into what you use several times over the years & it's not very user friendly & appears very time consuming. Whatever you do, don't attempt to write reports on site no matter what people tell you. A person needs time to think about things overnight. I finalize things the following morning. Most people are ok with that. If we are on a time crunch I may give a temporary report, but I clearly state temporary several times in the Report. This software is way ahead of all the others. It has features that I'm pretty sure the other software developers don't know is possible. Check out the web site link below. Hope this helps!
    Spectacular Home Inspection System - Pricing

I-pad mini with protective case. Use the i-pad camera most of the time too. Also carry two digital cameras (Sony Cybershot and Nikon Coolpix with Wifi) where the i-pad doesn't photo graph well such as in low light conditions, or where the i-pad is not easy to use such as attics.

Using Horizon reporting software, and type in much info at site and finish report when I get back home.