Default Relay or something

What looks like some sort of relay was bolted to the panel box and connected to the 50A range branch circuit. The feed (cu wire) from the 50A breaker goes directly into the right side of the device, then the copper wire exiting the device on left side is spliced to a #6 AL wire that goes to the range outlet. The range is a normal "Roper" or similar - see pics.

What the heck is this device?

Can this device be bolted to the panel with exposed electrodes? Any code issues?

Is that the correct way to make a splice of CU to AL wire?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Default Re: Relay or something

Definitely looks like a low voltage relay similar to what is on AC condensers. Did you happen to see where the small red and white wires installed on the sides, in the middle, sort of on top go? I've never seen anything like that for a stove.
    As far as being bolted into the panel and connections I'm sure Jerry can provide more specifics than I can. The sloppy tape job on the splice is definitely suspicious in terms of it being a proper connection between CU and AL.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Looks like a power monitoring device. I inspected a home once, pre-listing, that had all of the appliances monitored with something like this. The homeowner could see what was being used on his computer. Seller said it came with the house when he had it built and he had only messed with the program a few times. Techie gimmick!

After looking at the picture a little closer I have another guess. Could be a relay that can be operated by remote computer connection. Start the oven from the office before you leave for home.

Last edited by Vern Heiler; 08-09-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Second idea.
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Like others have said it's a relay.
    Some sort of home automation.
    Could cut power if there is a fire.

As for code issues
    Low voltage wires/ cables are not allowed in the panel box

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Jeffrey Maul Guest

Cool Re: Relay or something

I have seen something similar when a homeowner cobbled together his own automatic transfer for a backup generator. The range outlet is used to attach to the generator using a (dangerous) male-male jumper. The generator is connected to the service when the relay closes, perhaps driven from control circuit in the generator that applies low voltage when the generator is up to speed.
    The greatest danger, however, is that this does not open the main to utility.
    Regardless, this entire mess should be removed.

Jeff's RnR

...........most likely a safety shut-off. Look for some form of sensor near the range. Also could be tied in to fire alarm or timer mechanism.........Greg.

I agree with G. Booth, it should be inside the house electrical panel, what
    ever this thing is use for. J. Peck I hope will had some insight to this.

Robert,

I didn't add anything earlier as others covered it pretty well.

It is a contactor (similar to a relay, same basic principle in that a low voltage circuit - probably 24 volts - with low amperage is used to magnetize a coil, which in turn pulls in the movable plate with the contacts on it, not unlike the one used in a/c condenser units) and it is not installed properly, should not be installed in that panel, and the low voltage wiring for it should not be in the panel.

As to what it is used for, and how/where it is operated/controlled ... my guesses would not be any better than the guesses above. I would never have thought of using something like that to shut a stove off ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Might it be a controlled water heater rate peak/off-peak relay? If it is it belongs at the water heater, not in the load center, esp. if svc. equipment.