Fred Willis Guest

Default Buying French Doors - not sure which brand

I am in the process of shopping for a vinyl sliding exterior door. I am very confused about which brand to buy. I am at least looking for double pan with Low E. I saw the Brand Therma Pane by Pella at Lowes which was cheap. Maybe too cheap. I've been told Anderson is the best but they are very expensive. Can anyone make a suggestion about a good quality brand to go with that wont bankrupt me? I would like to purchase a qood quality door as it will face the elements. Thank You in advance.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Buying French Doors - not sure which brand

I would recommend staying away from full vinyl units. Vinyl clad wood is fine though.
    This is always a difficult question because quite frankly if you can't afford a good door now, wait until you can. Buying a cheap door just isn't worth it over the long term. If you are selling in 6 months, then how cares. It will be the next guys problem. There are a lot of things you can skimp on but a door shouldn't be one of them.
    It is important to understand that manufacturer's, such as Pella make different quality lines. The door they sell through a big box store is different than a door they sell through a lumber yard depending on model.
    A good middle of the road door is Peachtree. I used to install quite a few and never had any issues. I don't know current pricing but they were cheaper price but comparable quality as the top brands.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Fred Willis Guest

i plan on staying for a while so I am going to invest a bit in the slider. Middle fo the road is what I am looking for. thank you so reply.

Fred,
    Which are you looking for , French Doors or Slider Door?
    If French are you looking for a single swing door or a double swing door?
    Also who will be installing the door?

I am a fan of Milgard. They make a really nice fiberglass framed door, both in slider and french.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Fred,
    Garry,

Don't forget that in today's world of advanced design you can get hinged, swinging french doors or slider/horizontal roller french doors. Typically, the 'french door' is referring to the style of door with multiple lites, such as a '9 lite' french doorm but now there are all kinds of configurations of and for french doors.

Yes, I know, one should put "F" when saying "F"rench door (the "d" does not need to be capitalized), but for a door to truly be a "F"rench door and need the capital "F" the door would need to be from "F"rance.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,
    By the same reasoning a window with 9 lites would be called a F(f)rench W(w)indow?

Granted Marvin makes what they call a Sliding French Door which is really just a different looking sliding door. The styles and rails are just wider than their standard sliding door. Marvin is just making a marketing statement. They could have called it the Sliding Dogy Door which has large stiles and rails.

How about a French door refrigerator? No lites? Go figure.

A F(f)rench d(D)oor is a f(F)rech D(d)oor. A Cape Cod design house is a Cape Cod design not a Cape Cod Colonial Rancher design house.

Fred Willis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Fred,
    Was thinking about a slider but a french slider sounds like a nice style.