Paul Bowman Guest

Default Unknown insulation

I got started in construction after high school 24 years ago, went on my own as a carpenter &c. ~10 years ago, have been a BPI energy auditor for 3-1/2 years, and have enjoyed checking in here off & on for a while since then.

Pretty sure I've never seen insulation quite like this before. The house is circa 1923, but this stuff might not be that old. Grateful for any guesses, leads, or authoritative answers.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Unknown insulation

I'm going to guess at Balsam Wool Insulation.

Paul Bowman Guest

Default Re: Unknown insulation

Thanks, never heard of balsam wool before.

Searching the term on Google, I come up with another name, a related product called "Kimsul" — described as something like a blanket of layered crepe paper. This fits what I'm seeing.

Further search on Kimsul turns up this earlier InspectionNews post whose author, Debra Monte, says Kimsul contains asbestos.
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...407-post5.html

I also find online a page describing various old insulation products that says Kimsul does not contain asbestos.
    Asbestos Insulation

All very interesting. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get the stuff tested.